Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans connectors blocked.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Trans connectors blocked.

In my haste I put my my ls1 and 4l60e in but failed to run the hoses prior to having it put in the car. Can't get a wrench to screw in my 6an lines. I fear I may have to drop the trans. Any options or suggestions? Couldn't even find a 6an male to male push lok fitting to run the new lines since space is at a premium and it has to bend 90 degrees.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You may only need to remove the trans mount (and driveshaft) to get enough access to the cooler line fittings.
Did you already install AN6 fittings into the trans?
If no, do you have the right ones?
I used one 90 degree and one 45 degree AN6 fitting.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrvedit
You may only need to remove the trans mount (and driveshaft) to get enough access to the cooler line fittings.
Did you already install AN6 fittings into the trans?
If no, do you have the right ones?
I used one 90 degree and one 45 degree AN6 fitting.
it is a bitch to get to in that A body tunnel. I have an old fitting stuck in there now I can't get out. Send me a pic or links to your fittings
Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM

There is often confusion over what kind of threads are in the trans. This thread covers that in detail:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ting-size.html

I fear that if you used a a pipe thread fitting, it can really get stuck. You need 1/8" straight pipe AN adapters. Search ebay for "4l60e trans cooler fittings"; they are about $18 for two.

(Note: GM changed the thread type around 2007.)

Sorry, but I don't have pictures of the fittings on my trans, but I used AN-6 teflon lines. I used teflon lines not only to better handle high pressure and oil, but because they are also smaller.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

what i have done is take a stock steel fitting, make sure its tight, mark the direction i want the fitting to point, then rem it, grind it down a little, then get a 90 deg steel fitting, #6 to 1/4, grind the threads down a little to make it shorter, weld it on to the stock fitting-now i have a tight 90 deg fitting
i tried to get some #6 to 1/4-18 NPTS made up in a 90 deg swivel, but would have to order a ton-i have seen them in 1/4 NPT, but i dont like screwing that into a straight thread
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrvedit
There is often confusion over what kind of threads are in the trans. This thread covers that in detail:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ting-size.html

I fear that if you used a a pipe thread fitting, it can really get stuck. You need 1/8" straight pipe AN adapters. Search ebay for "4l60e trans cooler fittings"; they are about $18 for two.

(Note: GM changed the thread type around 2007.)

Sorry, but I don't have pictures of the fittings on my trans, but I used AN-6 teflon lines. I used teflon lines not only to better handle high pressure and oil, but because they are also smaller.
Hey Mrv,

It did have a pipe fitting in there, to make it compatible with factory lines running to the '68 Lemans radiator. my plan was to take them out and put 6-an fittings there with a pushlok fitting and call it a day.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Hey Mrv,

It did have a pipe fitting in there, to make it compatible with factory lines running to the '68 Lemans radiator. my plan was to take them out and put 6-an fittings there with a pushlok fitting and call it a day.
I'm not aware that 4l60E pushlok adapters are available for AN hoses. ("AN push locks" are a totally different animal.)

You should know by now that expecting to just "call it a day" never happens.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

True, but unless I want my trans leaking like the Exxon Valdez, I better figure something out.

Quick Reply: Trans connectors blocked.