Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PerformaBuild lvl2 users..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PerformaBuild lvl2 users..

Just wondering how happy you guys are, and how many miles and power the tranny has hel up to? Anything had to be done when you received the tranny? or was just a matter of unbolt old and bolt PB 4l60e right back on?
I'm about to put 1k down for a lvl2 4l60e on layaway and was just curious, i'm planning to step up to a 200 shot once i get the tranny (currently 400 n/a and 525rwhp with a 150 shot) thanks for any input guys
Old 05-26-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

More important than selecting a trans vendor is making sure the install is done correctly. If your previous trans crapped out due to any mechanical breakage, it is critical to also replace the converter or at least sending it a converter shop that will open it and thoroughly clean/rebuild it. Any trans cooler (other than what is build into the radiator) needs to be replaced. The in-radiator cooler and cooling lines need to be thoroughly flushed.
When installing the converter, be sure its pads are seated 1.125" (+- .050) below a straight edge across the bell housing.

Be sure Performabuilt will guarantee your trans with a 200 shot; you may have to move up to a higher level.

Having read every trans thread here for the past two years, I know there are many happy users of their Level-2. There are also a few reported failures, but I suspect at least some of those were due to shortcuts taken during installation.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Launching!

The only thing wrong with the current tranny its that at times, when i go WOT it flares the
2nd to 3rd shift, everything else seems good, fluid its red. Normal driving she's good
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

We will warranty the unit when using the 200 shot, That does not mean I am saying it will or will not fail in that situation since surley the limits will have been pushed but we have never refused a warranty over a power related issues no matter what the power level. In fact the only time warranty has ever come into question is when for instance pump are broken due to installation of spacing issues or converter failures when not purchased through us. But even then no one was left in the cold we only charged shipping plus our actual cost to repair never the full cost of a unit.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
We will warranty the unit when using the 200 shot, That does not mean I am saying it will or will not fail in that situation since surley the limits will have been pushed but we have never refused a warranty over a power related issues no matter what the power level. In fact the only time warranty has ever come into question is when for instance pump are broken due to installation of spacing issues or converter failures when not purchased through us. But even then no one was left in the cold we only charged shipping plus our actual cost to repair never the full cost of a unit.
Cool stuff. my converter is practically new, it was a PI 4k Rebuilt by FTI and restall to a 3200 by jan.feb 2013 wit about 2k miles.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:18 AM
Launching!

isnt the level 2 rated for 700? I like how PB gives the layaway option and 1 yr warranty. its a win.win in my book.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm happy with my Level 2 in my C5 Corvette. Not a lot of vette owners use PB, but I did and all is well. About 3 k miles and 60+ drag strip runs. Car goes bottom 11's.
No flares whatsoever.

Ron
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm definitely not in love with the build specs on their website... To me, that's pretty expensive for that kind of build.

But, hey, if they'll warranty it, more power to ya...!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I'm happy with my Level 2 in my C5 Corvette. Not a lot of vette owners use PB, but I did and all is well. About 3 k miles and 60+ drag strip runs. Car goes bottom 11's.
No flares whatsoever.

Ron
Just put $1K down for a lvl2 in layaway, just a little weary i didnt get any documentation of that and a new balance amount in an e-mail, but pretty sure Frank will come through... $1.096 more to go.. can't wait..
Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Wow...! A lot of dough...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dynamic396
Wow...!A lot of dough...
not really if the tranny will withstand 600+ rwhp. plus who has layaway and 1yr warranty?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

I'm not trying to kill your joy at all! Like I said, if you're happy with it, more power to ya...! I'm sure it will be just fine for you.

But that build, for that money...? Not too sure about that. I've been building transmissions for just a shade over 2-1/2 decades and there are quite a few things that that package is missing, especially for that price. That's all I'm saying...

And 600+ rwhp...? Well, I'll reserve my comments...
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I installed a PB lvl II in 2008.
Currently car is making 530 RWHP thru a PT4000 TC and still shifts
hard as hell. Sometimes it will chirp the tires shifting into 3rd at WOT.
Very pleased with the product and would do business with them again
in the future.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine off of layaway and bought the 2 year warranty. I thought it was a hell of deal. Not to mention their $995 rebuild when it is out of warranty. that's what sold me. If I trash it 3 years down the road I dont have to buy a new tranny, they hook me up for a grand and that is awesome!

Chad
Old 05-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dynamic396
But that build, for that money...? Not too sure about that. I've been building transmissions for just a shade over 2-1/2 decades and there are quite a few things that that package is missing, especially for that price. That's all I'm saying...

And 600+ rwhp...? Well, I'll reserve my comments...
You've been building transmissions, including 4l60e's I take it for that long and just heard of ls1tech? or just decided to join? What you can bring to the table for 2k? warranty? if you can surpass tranny quality and their warranty more power to you. I made a deposit on a PB unit and i'm sticking to it. I could say if you don't have any exp with PerformaBuilt please reserve your comments, but i'm not that type. Would like to read some customer reviews about your builds just for S/G's..any links?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ohio Bird of Prey
I installed a PB lvl II in 2008.
Currently car is making 530 RWHP thru a PT4000 TC and still shifts
hard as hell. Sometimes it will chirp the tires shifting into 3rd at WOT.
Very pleased with the product and would do business with them again
in the future.
Wow, 2008 and still putting in work, that's awesome. That's the same power i'm making ATM, 530rwhp..
Originally Posted by ss4chad
I bought mine off of layaway and bought the 2 year warranty. I thought it was a hell of deal. Not to mention their $995 rebuild when it is out of warranty. that's what sold me. If I trash it 3 years down the road I dont have to buy a new tranny, they hook me up for a grand and that is awesome!

Chad
Yeah $995 isn't a bad deal, that's what local shops around here charge for a mediocre [at best] rebuild just to hold close to stock power levels..
Old 05-30-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by PaSteLaSo4U
You've been building transmissions, including 4l60e's I take it for that long and just heard of ls1tech? or just decided to join? What you can bring to the table for 2k? warranty? if you can surpass tranny quality and their warranty more power to you. I made a deposit on a PB unit and i'm sticking to it. I could say if you don't have any exp with PerformaBuilt please reserve your comments, but i'm not that type. Would like to read some customer reviews about your builds just for S/G's..any links?
I've had several good and very technical communications with Dyamic396 (Jon) and will therefore defend him. Like recent additions CarlsonAuto and Montycarguy, they were hesitant to post on the forum due to the flame wars and bad manners on many other forums. I've done my best to answer as many 4l60e (and other) questions as I can (over 1000 in the past year), but as only an enthusiast with little real world experience, I call on these experts when I get stuck and/or ask them to verify my posts. In his (few so far) posts and in my other communications with Jon, I have found him exceptionally experienced and knowledgeable with at least all GM transmissions.

These experts don't want to link to their own websites or offer anything for sale because they are not sponsors and are willing to follow the forum rules and just help out where they can. We should all welcome that.

Also, I think any builder will look at another builder's prices and think "I can do that for less", because they are not fully taking the labor, overhead, Internet advertising, shipping and warranty costs into account.
I think that Performabuilt's prices are very competitive.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm not here to sell my stuff, just offer advice... I just question their power handling claims with those build specs, that's all. But, I was also very clear that if you're happy about your decision, then that's really all that matters!

Most of my business is local. In fact, long distance business in the transmission industry is kind of a pain in the butt. But, I DO have experience with PB transmissions. I'll leave it there...

I'm not here to sell anything, but since you asked, in my shop $2K will almost buy two of what you ordered, with a 2 year warranty. But, I wouldn't build them that way anyway, so it's a moot point...

Not sure why you bring it up, but I bought MY first F-body a little over a year ago and I've been on LS1LT1.com since then. I just joined here for S/G's... I like to offer my experiences and advice.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Also, I think any builder will look at another builder's prices and think "I can do that for less", because they are not fully taking the labor, overhead, Internet advertising, shipping and warranty costs into account.
I think that Performabuilt's prices are very competitive.
A very fair point...

Again, if I've offended anyone, I apologize... That's not my intention at all.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Launching!

is the 2-3 shift at WOT firmer than the stock 4l60e or does that lazy shift its part of the 4l60e character? Just wondering if I should expect an improvement there...

Quick Reply: PerformaBuild lvl2 users..