Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion flexplate headaches....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Conversion flexplate headaches....

I put a LM7 into a 1998 Range Rover, using the RR transmission, torque converter and transfer case for various reasons. The main one being the fact that the rear axle is also a driver side drop like the front, and there are no other transfer cases that will work, and the computers on the RR are having a fit as it is! Yeah, the transmission has its own ECM too.
Anyways, after getting the exhaust all wrapped up, could hear a ticking noise from bellhousing area.
Turns out the new parts store flexplate that came with the engine when I bought it, was warped. 55thou runout front to back, and probably 1/8" minimum of runout on the teeth (oval basically). Measured after the tranny came out.
Talk about wobbling...
Tranny is back at the shop, as the front housing bushing welded itself to the torque converter, and so on. Torque converter was used on the rig before the motor swap and was perfect.
Here is how I got everything together:
Made a 3/4" thick 6061 aluminum adapter to go from the RR tranny to a 4L60E bellhousing.
Made a second flexplate to go from the RR torque converter to the LM7 flexplate.
The 2nd flexplate bolts to the LM7 flexplate using the LM7 OEM 3 holes, with a tubular spacer (@1/4" high) tacked to the LM7 flexplate. Nuts are tacked onto the flexplate I made, for the OEM bolts to go into (where the LM7 torque converter would go)
I made a bushing out of steel tubing on a lathe, to center the RR tc to the LM7 crank. Goes over the tc nose, and slides into the LM7 crank hole.
Spacers are all exactly the same size, and everything is 100% centered.
Is this a case of a crap parts store flexplate?
There was @1/8" of clearance between the torque converter and LM7 flexplate, when the tc was pushed all the way back, so nothing too bad there I dont think.
If it isn't a junk flexplate, where did I screw up?
If it is a crap flexplate, where is the place to buy a good quality, made in the USA, and preferably thicker replacement?
I saw the Hughes and Hayes one on Jegs, any good?
Any other reasonably priced ones?
Any advantage/possibility in using a flywheel instead of a flexplate? More support, and may be able to mount the Rover torque converter straight to it?
Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to attempt to make myself clear. Figured I would post here instead of the conversion forums, which is where I normally hang out.
Many thanks in advance

Martin
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Ok, guess I am on my own on this weird and whacky one!
One last question, for the best strength and longest last, not to mention running true with no runout, which is the best plate..
Hughes HP4004X
TCI 399753
Any others that have had zero issues in the past?

Martin
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There were several recent threads on flexplates:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...lexplates.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-upgraded.html

Here is a nice table of the available ones:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/17400145-post9.html

Perhaps that helps. Your 1st post was way over my head.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Thanks!
I did do search and found those threads.
Was just wondering if anyone who has actually ran them wanted to chime in, and if not the ones posted above, which one to buy?
Cheers!

Martin
Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm not a big fan of TCI in general, but am very happy with my TCI (SFI) Flexplate. It has a very "substantial" quality to it. The stock flexplate just scared me.
Since I experiment a lot with various 4l60E builds/parts, I swapped transmissions about 5 times last year and was glad to have a sturdy flexplate.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Thank you.
Looking like a TCI or Hughes at the moment.
Still waiting to hear back from the tranny guy as to what damage the parts store one did...

Martin
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Hughes 4004X ordered.
Many thanks guys

Martin

Quick Reply: Conversion flexplate headaches....