Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter is sloppy after 4l80e conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Shifter is sloppy after 4l80e conversion

Hi all, I've been dealing with an issue but figured I'd ask some other folks around here to see how they've combatted this. Basically my 4l80e and my stock shifter don't mesh up well. Going into 1 or 2 is pretty easy and the shifter clicks in no issue, however when I go into 3 and OD the shifter doesn't have a defined click in. I haven't modified the shifter cable in any way. The only thing I did was modify the bracket to fit the trans pan bolt holes. Anyway, I'm sure it's just something dumb i'm doing and figured i'd see what you guys have to say. I'd like the ability to hold 2nd for a rolling start and then shift it into 3rd or OD as I'm WOT, but since there is not defined click in feel for 3rd or OD, I easily push through into neutral.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you readjust the cable?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...m-missing.html

Post 28
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM
9 Second Club

Thank you sir. I will get the car up and try that out.

Copied from post.

Shift Cable
NOTE: This procedure applies to 4L60-E and 4L80-E transmissions.
1. Place the transmission in park and apply the parking brake.
2. Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
3. On the shift cable end slide the black retaining clip forward just enough to allow the white lock button to be out.
NOTE: Do not push the white lock button completely out.
4. Push the white lock button out just far enough to free the metal core adjust body inside the core.
5. Inspect the core adjust body for dirt or debris that may restrict its travel.
6. If there are any restrictions found the shift cable end should be washed with soap and water. If after cleaning the cable the travel of the core adjust body is still restricted the shift cable assembly must be replaced.
7. Lower the vehicle, turn the ignition switch ON and move the transmission lever from park to one-to-ten times.
8. Place the shift lever in park and turn the ignition switch OFF. Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
9. Make sure the transmission is in mechanical park by rotating the control lever clockwise until it stops.
10. Push the white lock button in to secure the core adjuster body adjuster and slide the black retainer clip rearward until it covers the white lock button and locks in place over the shift cable end.
11. Lower the vehicle and turn the ignition switch ON.
12. Move the shifter through the gear ranges and ensure that the light comes on under the shift column letter when the shifter is positioned under that letter.
13. Ensure that the engine starts only when the transmission is placed in park or neutral. Adjust the park/neutral switch if necessary. Refer to the park/neutral switch adjustment procedure in this section.
14. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and ensure that the key can be removed in the park position only.
15. Release the parking brake, start the engine and check for proper transmission shift operation.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM
9 Second Club

I agree with DopeFedZ. It should all be in the adjustment of the cable. I had the same issue when I was using a 3rd gen cable (somehow broke my new 4th gen one) and I hated how it felt. I bought a new 4th gen cable and have it adjusted perfect now. I have no trouble starting a roll with the gear selector in 2nd, and bumping to 3rd after I mash the gas. Nice easy click every time.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing for upcoming swap

Quick Reply: Shifter is sloppy after 4l80e conversion