Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a new trans or tune/electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new trans or tune/electrical issue?

Just wanting to run my symptoms by the forum before ordering a new trans.

-Car shifted firm and quick. Fluid levels were topped off.
-Drove 100 miles to visit family in another town.
-Take aunt for a ride... wont shift 1-2 or 2-3 WOT. Have to let off to about 70% and it'll shift.
-Baby it the 100 miles back to my house.
-Wake up the next day and run down to a sub shop for lunch.
-Trans won't shift into 2nd until 3000 rpm's or so. After 1400 rpm it almost free revs as its gaining speed.
-Get back home and check fluid. It's low... Takes 1.5 quarts to bring it back to top of crosshatch. (Both were checked with car running in park and hot! no leaks in my garage and no fluid noticed under the car! where did it go!??!)
-Take it for another ride. Still 1-2 wont shift until 3k rpm's or 30mph. Also does not shift WOT.

Car:
Stock LS2 with Ported TB/Intake
LS7 Cam
S372 @ 7psi (530rwhp)

Stock Trans/Converter @65k miles.

Talked to Performabuilt already and they said Level 2 would be fine if I wasn't planning any more mods. Still wanting to speak with FLT but they didn't answer when I called. Also need to figure out what to do for a converter.

Car is new to me. Previous owner told me he increased line pressure by 5%. Kind of new to this era of cars and trans tuning. My 2002 Z28 was m6.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took it for a quick ride to verify what I posted.

At 18mph/1800rpm it begins to almost free rev. It will still accelerate but like its at 20% power to the throttle ratio. I also think it is shifting into 2nd... you just don't feel it, and then the problem starts in 2nd gear, rather than it just not shifting into 2nd.

Given that, I think it is time for a new trans.

Edit: Also fluid is really dirty. Its still a nice red color but has a LOT of black/grey specs/tint to it. When applied to a white paper towel it looks like a dirty mucky red when it mixes with what I believe is the clutch material.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Normally I would suggest hooking up a scanner/logger to it to see if the trans is shifting when commanded by the PCM. In many ways it sounds like the tune is just way off. However after reading your second post about the fluid condition, it might just be time for a new trans.

Quick Reply: Time for a new trans or tune/electrical issue?