Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheels lock up when the car shifts into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheels lock up when the car shifts into 2nd gear

Just wondered what you thought that might have broke in the transmission? My car broke at the track a week ago. When it shifts into 2nd gear the rear wheels lock up. I have a 4L60e transmission. Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Sounds more like a rearend issue. Sure it was the trans fault? How did you keep from hiting the wall when the wheels locked up?!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Banned

check the yoke(i believe thats what its called not sure tho) from the transmission connecting to the drive shaft. that happend to me well my wheels didnt lock up but it sure felt like it.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Certainly good to check the rear end and yokes first; I would have missed that.
If it is indeed the trans, then due to a major mechanical problem it might be engaging two gears at once; not sure how/if that is possible in a 4L60E.
Silly to even guess as the trans need to be rebuilt or replaced.
(I suggest buying from a sponsor as the internals might be in bad shape and many member here having problems with local rebuilds.)
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

There is a possibility that there is internal damage. The low reverse sprag could have failed and locked up at which it needs freewheel in second gear. Which would cause the wheels to lock up in second.

Here is a link to our 4L60E transmissions. http://www.gearstar.net/transmission....php?catunid=8

Please feel free to call us, as you can speak directly to one of our builders.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Here is more on the car and what happened. Last October I broke rear end. This spring I installed Moser 12 bolt with 4.10 gears, spool, 35 spline star flanged and gun drilled axles. Also I installed double adjustable Afco coilovers, TRZ Motorsports Anti-Roll Bar and Strange rear drag race brakes.

Before I went to the track I only nailed on the car maybe 3-4 time and all those times were from a roll and not a dead stop. I go up to do my first pass and do my burnout (1st burnout with tires and about 415 miles on the tires). Pull up to the line stall the car up to about 2600-2700 rpms with 17 psi in the tires and launch the car. I'm pretty sure I pulled the wheels some and either something in the transmission broke or tires spun after it came down and pegged the rev limiter 3 times. I let out of it completely for a second and got back in it part throttle and then finish my run. On the return road it acted funny shifting.

I then let the car cool down. Before going up to do another pass I decided to drive it around some in the track area. It seemed fine so I took it out on the street to be able to get it to shift through all the gears. I nailed on it once from a roll maybe at 10-15 mph. It shifted fine so I pulled into someone's driveway and backed out. I then started going forward slowly and started getting on the throttle and that's when it started locking the rear wheels up in 2nd gear. It did it repeatedly so I had to keep it only in 1st gear. This was the first time with the new setup that I launched the car from a dead stop.

Sorry it was so long.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Banned

put it on a lift and open it up check the yokes first like i said mine locked up completely couldn't move i had to tow it. My transmission guy said something in the yoke from the transmission to the drive shaft broke causing it to lock up. Either way put your car into neutral and try to spin the drive shaft by hand and see if it locks up. or just take it to a shop and let them tell you whats wrong with it you may be able to fix it your self if you have the know how.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Banned

have you found the problem yet?

Quick Reply: Rear wheels lock up when the car shifts into 2nd gear