Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with adding A4 transmission fluid

Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with adding A4 transmission fluid

Hello all, I need to add some tranny fluid because I think I'm running low, how do you add fluid to the 4l60E? I first checked in my Haynes manual, which was no help, then I searched here, still no clear cut answer. I'm sure it's probably very easy, I just have no idea how. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:01 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You first need to check the fluid level to make sure you actually need to add fluid. You do not want to over fill the transmission.

The check the fluid level, start the car on level ground, with the engine running and in Park, clean the trans fluid dipstick and insert it back into the tube until it is fully seated. Pull it out and make sure it at the full mark on the stick.

If you have to add transmission fluid, just get a long necked transmission fluid funnel that fit's into the dip stick tube and slowly add a small amount at a time. Stop and let the fluid settle into the pan and check it again. Continue this until you reach the full mark on the dip stick. Add very little very slowly. It I very easy to over fill the transmission and very hard to get the level back down after the fact. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
You first need to check the fluid level to make sure you actually need to add fluid. You do not want to over fill the transmission.

The check the fluid level, start the car on level ground, with the engine running and in Park, clean the trans fluid dipstick and insert it back into the tube until it is fully seated. Pull it out and make sure it at the full mark on the stick.

If you have to add transmission fluid, just get a long necked transmission fluid funnel that fit's into the dip stick tube and slowly add a small amount at a time. Stop and let the fluid settle into the pan and check it again. Continue this until you reach the full mark on the dip stick. Add very little very slowly. It I very easy to over fill the transmission and very hard to get the level back down after the fact. Good luck!
as mentioned, its very easy to add fluid, but difficult to drain. So take your time.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, I knew it would be something simple! I'll take your advice and add it slowly. Will any long necked funnel work?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

as long as its small enough to not spill, itll work. I used one of the flexible funnels and i still managed to spill some on the manifolds. It started smoking when it warmed up. Smelled bad but eventually went away.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Launching!

im having the same issues,does the tranny pull any vacuum from the sereptine belt? dumb question j/w
Old 07-28-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS

Just wanted to add that the trans should be at operating temperature when you check. I also always cycle through all the gears and put it back in park.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help with adding A4 transmission fluid