Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e + nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e + nitrous

Just finished doing a heads/cam swap on my 98 c5 with 137k miles, sprayed one bottle so far on 100 shot before I did the swap and had no issues, sprayed another bottle with 150 jets and I had some breakinf up issues halfway down the track but I was running shorter tires so I'm thinking with my tune I had in the car for my street tires the trans didn't know when to shift based on the mph and rpm, but I'm really wanting to know is how long can I expect my trans to live with spraying the occasional 150 shot at the track? Car also has a yank ss4000 stall and tranny cooler, trans temps run around 180-185 most the time but can get around 200 after burnouts and runs down the track
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Running smaller tires can be an issue my friend with based on what your tune is set for. Im no expert but i know that when i used my hypertech i could change rpms for the vehicle to shift. I went 6400 rpms or 6500 i cant remember and on my tuner i changed the computer to shift 1-3 mph high for each gear and when i first took it out it did that because i didnt have it set right for my tires.

Now onto your transmission question. Idk much about Yank i know they are great at what they do and very popular other than that, thats all i know but what i do know is when i used to sell performance converters if some one told us they were running a power adder we would install anti-balloon plates internal to the torque converter that way when the sudden power was introduced to the converter it would not ballon and expand and blow up. Kind of like a reinforcement. Worth having because once the converter expands and if things decide to come apart and go through your trans it can be bad. I would say maybe run it one or two more times and change your oil and filter if its been a while and when you do look and see if theres any brass shavings in the pan (true sign of a converter issue) if the fluid looks clean and not much in the pan then u might be alright.

I would call yank and ask if thats standard practice to do anti balloon plates. As for your trnasmission there is not true way of telling when it will let go there funny like that. I used to have customers that beat them relentlessly and never blow one up then i had others that blew them up every 5-6 months. The stock transmission i wouldnt want over 400 hard hitting horsepower going to it all the time. Being soft on it can benefit. Theres also ways to turn up the pressure in the transmissions alot of people used to request it when i would take there order. I dont know if it really made a huge difference but i cant imagine it didnt because your supplying more pressure kinda like a high vol oil pump but with trannys u can run the pan dry remember theres a long circulation process in autos.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I was running a 275/40/17 at the track and my tune was set up for my stock 275/40/18's, I recently added z06 rims to my car and I'm running 305/35/18's now and my car is going on the dyno tmrw at work, I work at a Chevrolet dealership and we have a tuner he's the one who suggested the ss4000 for me and I had him order my custom grind comp cam for the nitrous it's a 231/239 .637/.637 112lsa
Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Thats a good size cam. The duration im surprised isnt higher with a lift being that big but theres a science to it all and they wouldnt sell it if it didnt work. Did u fly cut your pistons to use that cam? Just curious. Did u tell yank u were using a power adder?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

No fly cutting the pistons it's got plenty of ptv clearance my tuner used calcs to figure out a safe but good amount of lift and duration for my set up, and when I first got the stall I just had bolt ons haha but yank says the ss series of converters are nitrous friendly
Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 AM
TECH Resident

There ya go you should be alright. As for the transmission time will only tell

Quick Reply: 4l60e + nitrous