Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to properly set up a Boosted TH400/LSx?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default How to properly set up a Boosted TH400/LSx?

I have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to by searching. So I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out here and leave some answers for the future Searchers.

I'm running a Twin Turbo 404 ci LS2 with a full Auto forward TH400. Yank 3600 Stall. Internals unknown. I want to keep the automatic shifting feature as this is a street car. But I want to set this combo up right, and to it's fullest potential when time comes for track days and spirited runs. So here goes...

Currently, the trans is running the Vac modulator with NO check valve. Shifting works ok while cruising around. It will shift real early in "Drive" when I go to WOT.

1. CHECK VALVES
Where can these Boost "Check Valves" be located? (who sells them?) Are these check valves made specifically for this purpose? Or are they regular ol' check valves?

2. Kick down cables. Are you guys running these on your Turbo/Supercharged applications? I understand that Manual VB's don't apply here. What about the full auto guys? Is there a need for this, and what are the Pros and Cons of having this hooked up?

I'd like to get this combo set up the right way. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by BlwnLs1GTO; 08-10-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any input for me guys?
Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still hoping some of you can point me in the right direction. I'm not sure where I can find these Boost Valve/Check valves for the Vac Modulator line to the intake.

I'm set up for a Dyno Tune this Saturday. Please help! Thank you.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh well,
I guess I have to spend money with a vendor to get some answers.

From other sources, it looks like I might be purchasing a FMVB and ditching the Auto feature.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what ive been told when researching my 400 setup was that its better to use the Trans go reprogramming kit to run full manual. You can run a series of a couple of the bleed off valves trans go sells to run full auto but with high boost ie over 15psi Im not sure it works that well, over 8psi you have to run 2 or more of them to bleed off boost fast enough. There is no kick down cable on a 400, its electronic. It uses a switch that needs to be pressed in by the gas pedal and then will kick down 3-2.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jakes can do a decently built th400 that retains auto shift but for a combo like that I think your going to have to loose it.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you. It seems most run the FMVB on this type of setup. I've been running around with the Auto feature, It I just figured I could get the Check valves installed, dial in the Vac Mod. along with the kickdown and be good to go. Oh well. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
Thank you. It seems most run the FMVB on this type of setup. I've been running around with the Auto feature, It I just figured I could get the Check valves installed, dial in the Vac Mod. along with the kickdown and be good to go. Oh well. Thanks for the info.
TransGo makes the check valves you need specifically for your purpose. You will likely need to put two in line.

You can use auto feature with big power in a TH400 but the hydraulics need to be properly setup. Most shops don't understand the hydraulics and assume they must use a manual valve body. A manual valve body is "easier" for them. Most FMVB's change NOTHING except force the VB to be manually shifted. The shift valves still move, everything in the VB is still active, fluid still flows the same way. So that's not a magical improvement and no reason an auto shifted VB can't do it as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
TransGo makes the check valves you need specifically for your purpose. You will likely need to put two in line.

You can use auto feature with big power in a TH400 but the hydraulics need to be properly setup. Most shops don't understand the hydraulics and assume they must use a manual valve body. A manual valve body is "easier" for them. Most FMVB's change NOTHING except force the VB to be manually shifted. The shift valves still move, everything in the VB is still active, fluid still flows the same way. So that's not a magical improvement and no reason an auto shifted VB can't do it as well.
Thank you very much, Jake. And others who've responded.

So do you think I can get away with the Auto feature if I put in a couple of these check valves and set up the kick down cable?
Or would I need to order a valve body from you that is set up specifically for this purpose?
Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
Thank you very much, Jake. And others who've responded.

So do you think I can get away with the Auto feature if I put in a couple of these check valves and set up the kick down cable?
Or would I need to order a valve body from you that is set up specifically for this purpose?
Thanks again.
The VB you have should work assuming the trans is dual fed. But that requires internal mods.

Quick Reply: How to properly set up a Boosted TH400/LSx?