Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did i burn up trans?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did i burn up trans?

In May I installed a 4l60e out of 03 2wd truck and a yank 3600ss converter. It ran and drove fine but 2/3 shift seemed soft. Recently in 2nd the converter quit grabbing properly and now bangs limiter under full throttle. I never got it tuned bc of moving and starting new job. Anyways, is it salvageable with a good tune or should I start to look for another trans?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Teching In

A little more info about the problem. Sorry, I was in a rush earlier. The trans feels like it is trying to grab while accelerating but cant stick it. It still pulls just wont lay on the converter like it used to. And I didn't know I had a problem until I went to the track and noticed higher e.t.'s and low mph along with it not wanting to shift out properly. It didn't do this before and it started this almost overnight, no signs before. I am just wondering if a tune to increase line pressure, assuming it needs it, will help at all. Ive tried unplugging the maf because I heard it may raise the pressure but that didn't help at all. Just wondering if a tune is a waste of time and money at this point. I have a 4l80e that I need to get started on building but even if it was ready to install I simply don't have the time or facility to do it at the moment. I don't want to waste money on tuning the 4l60e if its a "no hope" situation.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

time for a swap or rebuild
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Teching In

That's what I figured. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If you have tuning software, you might get a bit more life out of it.
If you don't have tuning software, you could drop the pan and unplug the PCS which will then force max line pressure at all times. Not ideal, but equivalent to tuning for max pressure at all times.

If you notice the problem in 2nd, then your band is likely worn. In another recent thread, I suggested lengthening the servo pin with a little welding. The OP was a mechanic, followed my steps and it worked perfectly. Of course no idea how long it will last; maybe 1000 miles, maybe 10,000 if very lucky, but it gave him a bit more time to save up for a rebuild.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Nice! I will try those out. Do i need to search servo pin on here or is there a guide to it? I am a tool and die technician so I have access to a good bit of machining equipment, if needed. I appreciate all the help
Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Here is the tread where lengthening the servo pin restored 2nd gear:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...t-trouble.html

And another recent thread about no 2nd gear:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-my-4l60e.html

Again, these are not "fixes", just trying to get a bit more life before the upcoming rebuild.

Quick Reply: Did i burn up trans?