Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e Temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80e Temp sensor

So, I think the 4L80e has a built in temp sensor, can this be used with an aftermarket gauge ? or is it strictly for the controller ?
Thanks
Howard
Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cuslog
So, I think the 4L80e has a built in temp sensor, can this be used with an aftermarket gauge ? or is it strictly for the controller ?
Thanks
Howard
Don't know if all controlers have capibility to supply voltage needed to open and close relay and temp scaling support for programing it.

If controller has ability you will need Pin Out of harness to add wires for relay or know the pin/wire colors if already in harness. You will also have to have software source, Mfg or aftermarket to access TCM software.

Just went through this and had everything needed to accomplish task, just decided I didn't want to add pins and wireing to controler harness to do it.

Would have been nice, but only time I need cooing fan to come on is stop and go traffic in high 80s & up. Highway driving even in 106 deg temp, temp never went above 175 degs, so I just decided to use toggle switch to control cooling fan.

I have a trans temp gage with sensor in pan because I didn't have room to add sensor to pickup temp off line out at trans, but also have "gear-in display" that can display, temp trans internal sensor is reading too. Between the two, I will know when to turn cooling fan on.

Powertrain Control System Blue box can do it. Don't know if their Simple Shift controller can do it.

Contact Mfg of your controller, and they should be able to tell you if their controller can do it, and what you need to do it if they allow you access to Controllers internal software.

The Black case right above the streering wheel will display trans temp as well as data from a number of other sensors feed to ECM.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Teching In

My 4l80 is in a '34 Ford with a Compushift.
Just welded in a bung for an Autometer gauge and their sensor.
Doing another 4L80 for my Son's '67 Chevelle.
Just wondered if there might be a way to use the factory temp sensor with an Autometer gauge. Seemed redundant having 2 temp sensors.
Thanks,
Howard
Old 08-27-2013, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Howard,

Sorry about not reading your post correctly. Jumped first looked second...LOL

If you can pickup trans internal fluid temp output from sensor either at wire harness plug-in connector on trans or from Compushift module, the internal sensor's resistance would need to match the aftermarket sensor's resistance gage is calibrated to for it to read correctly.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Yes, and I jumped first and thought second.
I should have known that the factory sensor would use a different "signal" than what Autometer uses.
I'm sure it could be done but electronics is not my strong suit, probably easier for me to just weld in the bung for an Autometer gauge.
Thanks,
Howard

Quick Reply: 4L80e Temp sensor