Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e Neutral to drive hesitation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e Neutral to drive hesitation question

#1. Does the transgo or b&m shift kits cause a slight hesitation and slight firm shift shifting from Neutral to drive? Once in drive it shifts smooth and strong in all other gears.. It's a 98 trans am with the 4l60e .. Only known mods are ls1 motorsports lid and no muffler on stock exhaust..

#2. If it does have some kind of kit how would I check to see what kind or if it does.

#3. Normal or no? This is my first ls1 fbody so not sure if It's normally supposed to have that delay from neutral to drive ( bout a second maybe less delay ).... And it doesn't make any odd sounds when shifting into drive and no warning lights or anything on the dash.

#4. Could it possibly be the EPC (electronic Pressure Control) solenoid going bad ?

I'm used to the lt1 with the 4l60 so just wanting to know some info bout this.. Thanks.. Oh and it has right at 101k miles on the car..

Anyone know anything about these cars and the way the auto 4l60e shifts??

Last edited by sloansZ28; 08-27-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving this morning I have figured out that if I shift straight from reverse to to drive the hesitation isn't bad,It's almost like what I'm used to,but if I shift from reverse to neutral and stop in neutral then go to drive their is a slight hesitation when shifting into drive gear but even then not to bad(half second maybe little more and no odd sounds or clunks) And like I said all other gears shift smooth...So, Maybe It's just me not being used to these ls1 with the 4l60e cause I recently had a 95 z28 with the lt1 and I remember it had slight hesitation as well.. So what I think is hesitation could possibly be normal for these????
Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry no one answered you earlier.

1. Shift kits generally increase line pressure and therefore speed up the Neutral to Drive engagement.

2. If you remove the pan and then the 1-2 accumulator (the cup with three screws) and show us a picture of the internals, we can tell you what shift kit it has. Any B&M shift kit should be avoided and even removed; it will damage the trans.

3. You would need to connect a trans pressure gauge to see the line pressure at idle. I suspect it is on the low side. A proper shift kit with boost valve will raise it and give faster engagement. Try reving just a bit to 1200-1500 rpm and see if it engages quicker as that bit of rev will increase line pressure too.

4. A marginal EPC can lead to low line pressure. If you are going to drop the pan to replace the EPC, might as well replace the two shift solenoids too (only $15 each), get a picture of the internals of the 1-2 accumulator and replace the filter and 5-6 quarts of ATF.

Quick Reply: 4l60e Neutral to drive hesitation question