Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e rebuild problems! Stranded need urgent help!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Default 4l60e rebuild problems! Stranded need urgent help!

Ok guys, lost the trans In my 95 silverado. It only had 1st and reverse. We had another 4l60e from a 2001, and it was a 2x4.

We took the the internals out of my old trans, except the last set of planataries wich I believe is low and reverse. The last piece that's held in by the snapping on the output shaft.

We took everything out of the 2001 trans, pump, converter, valve body, all the electronics, all internals minus low/first, and put them in my case. I also replaced the stock servo in the side of the trans, with a corvette one.

The truck has first gear, and reverse. About half way thrue first gear it acts like its locking up, slows down and then unlocks and cruises freely again. Over and over.

What did I do wrong?!? Could it possibly be an electronic difference in the 2 years and I just need to put all the old electronics in? Also the corvette servo seemed really hard to move tge pistons, it slid hard I the bores.

Help pleaseeee. Also the 2001 trans was a brand new rebuild, all new parts. COuld that stiff vette servo cause this??

Last edited by Cwarta; 09-05-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

I only know there were some differences from '93 to '96 at which point things stayed stable for 10 years. Nonetheless, this does not sound like an electrical problem.
You comment about locking up and problems with the servo could mean that the band is getting applied while in 1st gear, which probably is a bind. The servo should go in and move very smoothly. Does the servo use the stock split seals or o-rings? O-rings are a bit snug, but still not hard to move.

I don't have any experience with this problem. Hopefully one of the pro builders can chime in.

Last edited by mrvedit; 09-06-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The servo comes with its own seals etc. The stock servo moves 3 times easier in the bore than this new one. I lubes all the seals up etc, im sure hoping that could be the problem.

JUst went out and pulle dthe servo, replaced it with yet another sevo assembly. This assembly slides easily. WHen I test drove it, same thing. BUT, if I lock the shifter in first gear, no problems, so its doing it when it tries to shift inot second gear.. WTF could it be???

Last edited by Cwarta; 09-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 AM

Glad you had another servo to test.
Based on what you now say, the trans isn't locking up "half way through 1st gear" but rather as it tries to shift into 2nd gear. Two things have to happen for 2nd gear:
1. The band has to apply. If it doesn't the trans free-wheels as in Neutral, so that isn't your problem.
2. The low/reserve clutch needs to be released.

Note that the low/reverse clutch only applies in [D1], but if it stays applied at all times due to no-clearance/misassembly, you will have 1st gear and - I suspect - the trans will bind in 2nd gear.

Again, a pro builder really needs to confirm or correct me here.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know there's a difference in the 3-2 solenoid

95 3-2 solenoid is a 10-15 ohm NC PWM type. The 97' up transmission uses a 20-30 ohm on/off type.

I believe that 95 is pretty much stand alone year, so there may be other differences.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
I know there's a difference in the 3-2 solenoid....
You are correct about those electrical differences but they will only affect shift feel and TCC apply. Not minor problems, but they won't cause the trans to bind.

I recall reading about differences in the low/reverse clutch between '93 and '96, but cannot find that now and don't know if the mix of parts the OP used might cause that clutch to bind.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talk to a trans guy , and he said the vb from a 95 and a 01 are most deffinatley not interchangeable. He told me to take my old valve body, separator plate, and electronics and put them all back in the rebuild trans and my brobl should go away. He said the routing for the channels is different, and that it's trying to apply more than one gear when it tries to shift because the channels are mid matched.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:34 PM

That is good advice from your trans guy; let hope that fixes it.
If you have the chance, please take a picture of the channels in the '95 and '01 valve bodies; I would like to see if/what differences there are.

I have interchanged valve bodies between '98 and '06 without any issues.
IIRC the Trangso Universal separator plate works from '96 to '06 (with a few exceptions). That would indicate there are differences before '96.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, ill try and take some! I sure hope this gets me going. I appreciate your help, everyone else just wants to call me dn idiot for trying.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

2001 was this and LSX trans ? If so seems you would have issues with the pump and the converter ?
In any case I cannot see any possible electrical or even VB miss match that would cause a bind up Not sure about VB plate mix ups but never heard of any though can cause other odd issues.
Now depending on what kinda failure you had in the old unit if the low roller is seized that will cause a bind up on he 1-2 shift then with the slow down back to first you go.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e rebuild problems! Stranded need urgent help!