Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built 4L65 whining in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Built 4L65 whining in gear

I have a FLT Level 6 4L65E in an AWD Trailblazer SS.

I have been hearing a whining on acceleration and assumed it was the blower, but last night I noticed that the noise starts right when you drop the car in gear. For example I was in the garage just sitting still, car in park no noise, put the car in D,R,1,2 or 3 and voila, noise. Again this is all sitting still.

Anyone far smarter than me want to weigh in on what it could be? Does what I've described isolate converter? Pump? Tranny?

It runs fine with no noticeable problems. Shifts are normal.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the converter. If it was the pump it would make noise all the time.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

So you have the whining in 1st or Reverse gear, but not in Park/Neutral. The difference is that in 1st/Reverse the Sunshell/Reverse drum assembly is spinning. Two bushings support this assembly, plus the internal torrington bearing in the rear planetary. Any of those could cause the whine. The reverse drum turns inside the band; I don't know what sound a too-tight band would make.
Probably time to call FLT and see what they want you to do. Even if you decide to live with it, it would be good to let them know now for warranty reasons.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
Sounds like the converter. If it was the pump it would make noise all the time.
Please explain - the pump and converter are both spinning in Park/Neutral and in Drive.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mrvedit
So you have the whining in 1st or Reverse gear, but not in Park/Neutral. The difference is that in 1st/Reverse the Sunshell/Reverse drum assembly is spinning. Two bushings support this assembly, plus the internal torrington bearing in the rear planetary. Any of those could cause the whine. The reverse drum turns inside the band; I don't know what sound a too-tight band would make.
Probably time to call FLT and see what they want you to do. Even if you decide to live with it, it would be good to let them know now for warranty reasons.
Yeah I already put a call into them, thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Built 4L65 whining in gear