Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise during shifts (4L60)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default weird noise during shifts (4L60)

the trans up-shifts fine, but it starts making a weird noise about a second before the shift and goes away about a second after the shift. it's the exact same noise you'd expect from a worn out bearing.

it used to only make the noise at the 2/3 shift, but now it does it at the 1/2 shift as well. it's only noticeable during light acceleration.

i'll take a video and post it when i get off work if i remember.

EDIT: more specifics, seemingly unrelated.

if i use EFI live to command 3rd gear with the TCC disengaged, i also hear a bearing type noise that changes consistently with engine RPM's.

i also have a faulty 3-2 shift solenoid that causes a delay/slip in the 3-2 shift. once every thousand miles or so, it also throws a code making only 2nd and 3rd gear available until i clear it. i have a new solenoid, but im debating whether or not it's worth changing the solenoid alone or installing my spare trans while i rebuild this one.

Last edited by rumblebox; 09-24-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

nobody?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry, but you are basically saying that you think your trans is sometimes making a noise during a shift. Not much to go on.
You probably just need to have a local mechanic listen to it and try different things including putting in on a lift and forcing the trans to shift.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Sorry, but you are basically saying that you think your trans is sometimes making a noise during a shift. Not much to go on.
You probably just need to have a local mechanic listen to it and try different things including putting in on a lift and forcing the trans to shift.
i'd say i was pretty specific with the type of noise and timing of the noise.... enough to where an experienced 60E tech could recognize it as a few possible issues. i'm not "basically saying i think my trans is sometimes making a noise during a shift."

i added more specifics to the OP.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Thank for adding the additional info; it is very much related.
Perhaps one of experienced rebuilders can now tell you what bearing is likely causing the noise.

BTW - I wasn't trying to be difficult; just "suggesting" why no one had replied yet. You also promised a video which never appeared.

Last edited by mrvedit; 09-24-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

After listening to the video, the noise is always RPM consistent when it happens.

Quick Reply: weird noise during shifts (4L60)