Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't forget the dipstick grommet!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Don't forget the dipstick grommet!

I just got done with the painstaking process of installing a brand new FLT stage 4 trans with yank ss3600....after installing everything I noticed that I didn't install the trans dipstick grommet...what a nightmare! It is impossible to pull the tube high enough to install grommet...I even loosened the k member and that still wasn't enough to pull the tube out! So learn from my stupidity and make sure your grommet is in because now I have to pull the mf'n bellhousing all I've again, and those bolts are a joy to get at!

My only other idea I'm going to try first is to pull the trans pan and see if I can push grommet up from the bottom, any other ideas would Be greatly appreciated even though I think I'm up **** creek...FML!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I don't have a Gen-4 and therefore don't know the details, but we had a few threads this year on replacing the trans dipstick tube which I read is also a real pain on Gen-4s. The advise seemed to be to have one person on top and another underneath the car guiding the tube into place.
Seems you could do something similar - detach the dipstick tube from any mounting and use a helper to lift the dipstick tube high enough to insert the grommet. Then re-attach. I also read that the attachment point is difficult to reach but not impossible.

Good luck. Remember to add ATF.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

I even had the mounting bolt on the head undone and still no dice....unfortunately I'm going to have to pull the bellhousing again, it sucks but it has to be done, I tried siliconing the tube to no avail which I knew wouldn't work but at midnight I was spent...
Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, I dropped the pan got mt dremmel and cut off about an inch of the dipstick tube. It sits pretty low in the pan. Then i was able to pull the tube out. It leaves just enough clearance to lift the tube out.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Ok cool man thanks, I've been in Mexico for 2 weeks and the first thing I want to do is get this right when I get home...

Quick Reply: Don't forget the dipstick grommet!