Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some help for an automatic new-B

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Some help for an automatic new-B

Im swapping an 2002 LS1 into my 72 C20 backed by a 96-98 4L60E. I got the trans, converter (hughes performance P/N GM22LTOW) and flex plate together from someone who had abandoned their LS swap into a 69 Suburban. My question is, what is the adapter pictured below and where does it go? I have the slightly bowed flex plate on the back of my motor already, Im just not entirely sure how this whole assembly goes together as this is my first build with an automatic transmission.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by FLYNAVY30; 10-17-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

This is not an LS-compatible 4L60E and therefore will not bolt-up directly.
I don't know the details of using an old trans, but there are threads on it and hopefully someone who knows the details can help out.

The adapter you are holding extends the length of the pilot of the converter so that it can fit into the recess of the crank. Not sure if that will work for you or not.

You should check if the holes in the flexplate align with the converter; usually they need to be enlarged a bit to hold your older style converter.

Hopefully someone who knows this better can help out with more details.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help! The holes on the flex plate have in fact been elongated to match the converter. The guy I bought the set up from was running the trans behind a 5.3L LS so everything should work together, I just need to figure out how it all goes together.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, got the extender into the back of the crank and the flywheel - crank - converter all line up as advertised. The bolt pattern on the old style transmission doesnt exactly match the LS motor....Ive heard thats normal and you only use the 6 bolts that do line up....correct?

Quick Reply: Some help for an automatic new-B