Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60 broke what??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60 broke what??

I have a few tech questions for you. I purchased a lvl 2 4l60e about 2yrs ago. It's been a great trans. Saturday during the burnout the car banged and locked the wheels up, the car would not roll in neutral to be backed out of the water box, but I put the car in reverse and it backed out under its own power. Drove the car back to the pits and as soon as it shifts to 2nd it locks the tires up. If I put it in manual 2 it will rev up and go no where. I was wondering what's broke? Planetary,shell, band?? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have sent Frank 2 messages concerning the issue without a reply yet. So was wondering, what's your thoughts?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ttt. Anyone got an idea. Any pros (preferably Frank - since he built it). Others are also appreciated.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry, but I don't have enough experience with busted transmissions to answer your question.
Also, don't see a good reason for "guessing" as you are unfortunately going to have to remove the trans and get it rebuilt. When it is rebuilt, the answer will reveal itself.

But let me embarrass myself by guessing anyway...
Its not the sun shell because you have Reverse.
I'll guess it is the anchor on the band.
Did the trans perhaps shift from 1st to 2nd during the burn out?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like ( maybe ) the planetary is broke. Had it happen many years ago. Had a little wheel hop on launch, and bingo.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I must not have gotten your messages however sounds like the low roller clutch is seized it will allow reverse and 1st but will lock up on the 1-2 shift. Other damage is possible too.
If it out of warranty we have the 995 restore option includes all parts and labor and shipping back to you with a new warranty,
Frank

Note: I just checked and have no messages from you here nor in email so not sure what's up with that.
ADDING-Found your email in the spam folder sorry your email has been updated to not end up there anymore but always feel free to simply give me a call if for some reason I don't answer someones email.

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 10-30-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 4l60 broke what??