Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My converter doesn't like flashing, tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My converter doesn't like flashing, tune?

When I went to the track a few months ago, at first I tried hitting it from idle and just above idle, wouldn't 60 ft under 1.90.. I stalled it up to 3000-3500 and was running in the 1.7's. But I think it might be because of the tune.. When I stomped it off idle, it would hesitate, one time it did it for a good little while, and when it finally hit it was lazy at first..

Maybe it's in the stock tune? Car hasn't been tuned ever. Just wondering if it has more in it by getting a tune then flashing it.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
Car hasn't been tuned ever.
Sig says PTC 4K + and it was never tuned?

Tune it.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Tune, let's separate for clarity. There is an engine section of your tune and a trans section. For the trans side, changes or rather lack of changes won't effect 60 ft time much. On the engine side, it can effect it a ton. Basically the motor isnt making power correctly therefor the car isn't leaving as hard as it should. We recently took a converted LT1 car out and were eager to find out how the new powerplant did at the track. We could not get it to 60 foot better then about 1.9 and it ran in the 14s. We later found out the fuel pump was only putting out about 40 psi. If your back end times show a strong running car (ours obviously didn't) then it likely isn't anything mechanical. You need to dive a little deeper into your time slip. And, I'll add that stock tunes don't hesitate as long as everything is working correctly on the car.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY

Sig says PTC 4K + and it was never tuned?

Tune it.
I was under the impression that tunes aren't really necessary with any converter, am I missing something? I'm about two hours from where frost does his dyno tunes, so its no problem to get w quality one done.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Tune, let's separate for clarity. There is an engine section of your tune and a trans section. For the trans side, changes or rather lack of changes won't effect 60 ft time much. On the engine side, it can effect it a ton. Basically the motor isnt making power correctly therefor the car isn't leaving as hard as it should. We recently took a converted LT1 car out and were eager to find out how the new powerplant did at the track. We could not get it to 60 foot better then about 1.9 and it ran in the 14s. We later found out the fuel pump was only putting out about 40 psi. If your back end times show a strong running car (ours obviously didn't) then it likely isn't anything mechanical. You need to dive a little deeper into your time slip. And, I'll add that stock tunes don't hesitate as long as everything is working correctly on the car.
Well I would think the motor is doing fine tune wise, its just lid/catback at the moment, basically stock.

Still, I think my next step will be a tune, I was just trying to wait for getting headers but that'd be a while out.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DREAMZ28
I was under the impression that tunes aren't really necessary with any converter, am I missing something? I'm about two hours from where frost does his dyno tunes, so its no problem to get w quality one done.
No, just the opposite. You want a tune. Well, you NEED a tune lol.

You can run untuned but they won't perform like they're supposed and may/may not hurt things. Higher stalls should always be tuned. Not a requirement, but definitely a high recommendation.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY

No, just the opposite. You want a tune. Well, you NEED a tune lol.

You can run untuned but they won't perform like they're supposed and may/may not hurt things. Higher stalls should always be tuned. Not a requirement, but definitely a high recommendation.
Oh OK well that definitely will be the next thing I do. What exactly in the trans tune is so neccesary? Line pressure, shift rpm, etc?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those are the two most prominent that I'm aware of but I'm sure there are other reasons. No sense in having the computer think the stock 1800 converter is in there when you have a 4000 lol.

PS, do you have a trans cooler?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen best results holding the rpm around 1500-2000 at the line and then give it full throttle. I also think part of your problem is in the tune as well, most likely timing related.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I have a cooler, and OK so mainly performance related things, nothing that can potentially harm the trans right?

And yea j was thinking low rpm timing too. Well I'm going to email frost and see what he can do for me, was hoping a trans only tune.

Quick Reply: My converter doesn't like flashing, tune?