Sponsored by:

Thinking out Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking out Transmission

Hello,

my car (see signature if its updated) is an 02 Trans Am Firehawk, 4L60E trans. had it dyno tuned to 330 RWHP/350 FTLBS TQ., only mods are headers, and the SLP dual dual cat back.

my next step to do some light mods, is to do a medium stall torque converter while still maintaining lockup, and street manners. it is a 100% street car. in one year, has made two 1/4 mile passess. my biggest complaint about the car is the mushy feeling automatic. i love the firm grippy feeling of an M6 but that isn't an option on this car. i intend on doing:

Stall converter (Brand ? stall range? Diameter?)

TCI shift kit, Vette servos, the whole 9 yards.

while the transmission is out... the car has 84k miles on it, i am thinking it might be time to freshen things up with some more performance oriented parts internally, just to handle the motor better (stock 60's blow up to often as it is behind stock motors).

using this thought process, what can you offer as suggestions. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

As for converters, you'll get a million and one opinions as everyone has their own favorites. A consensus is to go no lower than 3000 stall. The Yank SS3600 is the most popular converter on this board because it hits hard while maintaining excellent street manners.

Transgo HD-2 shift kit is the one to get. Do a search on "mrvedit" posts for some of the nice pieces that Sonnax has come out with that'll complement the Transgo shift kit. Your tranny came stock with the Corvette 2nd gear servo.

Tuning is really important to getting these transmissions performing well - adjusting shift points, taking out torque management, speeding up shift times and more.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't waste your money on a ya k, you don't need a billet converter, check out PTC unlike yank, they are actually popular outside this forum as well
Old 12-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the process of installin a PTC 3600 stall. Cost me $475 including shipping. Talked to Tim and told him what I wanted, really easy process.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had a Vigilante 3600 and now i have a Yank 3600. both are great converters i will say the Vigilante was a little bit looser though. both perform very well.

Quick Reply: Thinking out Transmission