Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad vibrations at higher rpm worst in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad vibrations at higher rpm worst in 3rd

K so my 98 trans am is vibrating bad in 2nd and third mostly at higher rpm the trans was just installed and it's rated for 600hp what could be causing this could it be trans or driveshaft or rear I don't know where to start
Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

A commonly reported reason for vibrations is the trans mounting. If you have polyurethane ones, go back to stock rubber ones.
There have been some reports of "The Beast" sunshell causing vibrations; this will only occur in 3rd gear. (Also in 1st, but no one notices that.) The only solution to that is to have the trans rebuilt to use the Sonnax Smart Shell.
Obviously the drive shaft and u-joints have to be considered too.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
A commonly reported reason for vibrations is the trans mounting. If you have polyurethane ones, go back to stock rubber ones.
There have been some reports of "The Beast" sunshell causing vibrations; this will only occur in 3rd gear. (Also in 1st, but no one notices that.) The only solution to that is to have the trans rebuilt to use the Sonnax Smart Shell.
Obviously the drive shaft and u-joints have to be considered too.
ill check the mounts first thing in the morning and i have no info on the trans other than the previous owner told me it was just rebuilt i tried contacting him again but his phone got shut off

and i tried manually shifting through all the gears and its definately worse in 3rd when i shift to 4th it smooths out some

Quick Reply: Bad vibrations at higher rpm worst in 3rd