Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM 4L80E Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GM 4L80E Transmissions

I have a 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo LS that I plan on putting a junkyard LS engine (probably a 5.3), and I would like to put a GM 4L80E transmission in the car as well. The engines have been easy to find and priced very reasonably, but the transmissions are more difficult. Mostly, they cost double or triple the price of the engine. I wanted to get them as a package and the only place that I know that I may be able to do that is my local LKQ (I live in Durham, NC). Do they mostly just come in vans and trucks, and if so, what part numbers should I be looking for? Keep in mind that I am very green (read: inexperienced) and would like to know if I find the right vehicle which parts (ECU, trans controller, etc.) I need to make this as painless as possible.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hottoddy
I have a 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo LS that I plan on putting a junkyard LS engine (probably a 5.3), and I would like to put a GM 4L80E transmission in the car as well. The engines have been easy to find and priced very reasonably, but the transmissions are more difficult. Mostly, they cost double or triple the price of the engine. I wanted to get them as a package and the only place that I know that I may be able to do that is my local LKQ (I live in Durham, NC). Do they mostly just come in vans and trucks, and if so, what part numbers should I be looking for? Keep in mind that I am very green (read: inexperienced) and would like to know if I find the right vehicle which parts (ECU, trans controller, etc.) I need to make this as painless as possible.

I would recommend the newer model 98+ 4L80E for the extra bolt hole but if you can not find one the pre 98 model will work fine as well. You can run a "black box" and control the transmission manually.

http://www.rosslertrans.com/4l80e.htm

they sell the black box for 295$. That will get you going or you can do an OS swap on the ECU but that depends on what computer you have. You will need to modify the crossmember for the 4L80E, change the driveshaft yolk as well and repin the trans harness but over all the swap is fairly easy.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to have to disagree with a number of the above points.

I would not recommend a 98+ 4L80E. They are more expensive, often more difficult to get ahold of, and most of them have a later model style OD roller clutch, which is weaker than the early model. The top bolt hole is irrelevant really, it'd be no different than swapping in a TH400 or a TH350. That bolt is a pain in the *** anyways, and I, and many others as well, simply skip that bolt hole altogether when possible.

As for the black box, I wouldn't bother with Rossler's linked above either. Jake's Performance sells an identically functioning box for about $100 cheaper.

More than likely, you will be swapping your crossmember entirely rather than modifying your existing one. Depending on your method of controlling the transmission, repinning the harness will not be necessary either.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There is no reason you need to get an "engine and trans" package. I would suggest a '99 or later engine with PCM. ('98 has odd/unique PCM harness pinout.) With minor mods, well documented here, the PCM will control any year 4L80E. IIRC very early 4L80E may need a new internal wiring harness but that is very easy to change.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised about the price on transmissions you're seeing. I bought mine off Craigslist for $100 and see them all the time for $300 or less. Try to get one that is out of a two wheel drive truck or van so you don't need to replace the tail. Mine was from a 2002 3/4 ton GMC.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

You have several shops that specialize in LS swaps and performance right in your back yard (I grew up in Durham). Ryan at RPM, Will at Mayhem Motorsports, Dusty at Blazin High Performance, Paul at LS1 Excitement.... All of these are in the RDU area. Might be worth giving them a call and see what they have in stock as far as engines, transmissions, etc...
Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information guys, especially the gentleman that grew up in Durham. I will be making some calls to get the ball rolling.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also check motorhomes at a salvage yard, remove the parking brake off the back and you are good to go. I have one from a 99 that will go in my build.

Quick Reply: GM 4L80E Transmissions