Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans temp gauge location, routing ideas, connection help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans temp gauge location, routing ideas, connection help please

Hey guys, I just installed my 3600 converter, and I have a trans temp gauge on the way also, but I need some opinions on where to mount it so it's visible to me, yet not intrusive, like on the A pillar.

Also, how/where should I route the sending unit, and to where on the trans to get the most accurate reading?

Is there an easily accessible grommet somewhere towards the front?

It's an Autometer ultra lite, if that matters.

Thanks.

Last edited by sepsis; 02-03-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

What vehicle do you have?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL sorry, 2000 Z28.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran mine my sending unit off the port right near the shift linkage and ran the wiring up through where the shifter comes up at. I have my gauge mounted in a custom metal holder that eliminates the cubby by the ashtray. it also has my cutout switch mounted there also.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. thanks.

Where did you mount the sender on the trans?

I'd hate to have to remove the pan again, and have to drill and tap it. I just changed the fluid and filter when I did the converter.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

there is a small plug above and towards the front of the shift linkage on the trans. remove plug and install supplied adapter from autometer.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
there is a small plug above and towards the front of the shift linkage on the trans. remove plug and install supplied adapter from autometer.

Yea, I saw that plug when I pulled the trans, and I was wondering if that was suitable for a temp gauge.

Thanks for the help man.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

not to hijack, but if anyone is considering buying the trans temp gauge and installing, an option u may want to consider is scangauge, i installed one last year, and it monitors trans temp, as well as amillion other things. was like 140 bucks, and is accurate more than stock tach and has a lot of functions.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sepsis
Cool. thanks.

Where did you mount the sender on the trans?

I'd hate to have to remove the pan again, and have to drill and tap it. I just changed the fluid and filter when I did the converter.
For a trans temp gauge such as an AutoMeter like you purchased, drilling and tapping the pan is the best place for the sender on the trans to the gauge.

As far as mounting the gauge...Camaro would either be A-Pillar or a custom install in the center console, for the most part, 6LE has some nice products for that. If you have a Firebird, A pillar, center console, or you can mount it in one of the dash vents. Again 6LE has good stuff for that.

Originally Posted by sepsis
Yea, I saw that plug when I pulled the trans, and I was wondering if that was suitable for a temp gauge.

Thanks for the help man.
Using that plug for the sender is hit or miss. Sometimes it works out just fine other times it can lead to problems. Some people have reported inaccurate temps, cracked parts, I don't remember why though so you'll have to look into it.

Edit: I had some time...https://ls1tech.com/forums/9089592-post8.html

When I got my converter I was talking to a friend of mine who already had one and he steered me away from the plug. I was planning on using that with a trans temp gauge. After we persuaded me away from it I bought an Interceptor ($235 for 75+ gauges in 1 including trans temp) and it just plugs into the OBDII port.
Originally Posted by JDEP162
not to hijack, but if anyone is considering buying the trans temp gauge and installing, an option u may want to consider is scangauge, i installed one last year, and it monitors trans temp, as well as amillion other things. was like 140 bucks, and is accurate more than stock tach and has a lot of functions.
Aeroforce Interceptor is more expensive but it is the best
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I run the aeroforce scan gauge, but if I were were to just have a trans temp gauge, Id weld a bung into the side of the pan and put it there.

Op I have a single pod for the A pillar and it doesnt get in the way. For a while I had a vent mounted gauge but didnt like looking down at it.

Quick Reply: Trans temp gauge location, routing ideas, connection help please