Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e manual first gear problem. (((FIXED)))

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e manual first gear problem. (((FIXED)))

First of let me say the gurus of this sit are amazing. I have read many pages of people's problems for weeks but have not ran across one like mine yet. So here we go and I appreciate the help in advance.

1998 formula with a ls1 with many mods, and 4l60e fresh with a shift kit and 3000 converter. motor is 500hp range.
In drive every gear shifts great. When I manually shift down to first gear (burnout) it's sounds and feels as if the trans is trying to shift in and out of gear and becomes a violent event. Shifting into 2nd gear everything clears out. I pulled a code and there was something about a trans solenoid. I currently have the trans pulled for another reason..... Starter broke and chewed my $300 tci flywheel up....before I put the tranny back in I would like to get some advice on troubleshooting.
Really sounds and feels like a valebody prob because the car feels flawless other wise. I ran the car at the strip in drive and it performed great. I know these transmissions are designed to be ran in auto and tweaks are made in the tune. But something's weird is going on so now I lean on you all for suggestions.

Thanks
CuZ

Last edited by sWcCuZ; 03-10-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Title modification
Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sorry, that just isn't enough info to be sure, but let me take a stab...

You might try replacing the pressure manifold switch as this tells the PCM which position the shifter is in. If the PCM thinks you are in [D2] (or higher) and the trans is really in [D1] you might get a strange result because the shift solenoids will try to shift, but there is no fluid available in the hydraulic lines to make the shift.

The low-reverse clutch is only engaged in [D1] (manual-first) and reverse. It could be a mechanical problem there.

Valve body problems are difficult to diagnose; sometimes just easiest and cheapest to buy a good used one (< $150) and try it.

I doubt it is tune related.
High stall converters sometime produce an intermittent solenoid code; it doesn't sound like a solenoid problem to me.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help. Sorry not enough info, not really anymore data I know to give about the problem. I'm gonna pull the valvbody and maybe replace it with another like you suggested.. Thks again

Anyone else.. A lot people looking at the post, anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Since the pressure switch is bolted to the valve body, try to replace both. That has a good chance of solving the problem.
Valve bodies from '96 to '06 are all interchangeable.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 AM
Teching In

I was kinda bummed about the lack of input on this problem.alot people seemed to view the thread so I'm gonna contribute back.

This problem was being caused by a shifter cable out of adjustment. When shifted into first gear the linkage was only allowing the the trans to go HAFE way between first and second gear.

Hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

Thks
CuZ
Old 03-10-2014, 07:54 PM

Thank you for the update; glad you figured out your problem and fixed it.
I'm sorry that something as "simple" as a misadjusted shifter cable was not on my list of suggestions; I have learned to included that in future posts.
Again, thanks for the helpful info.

Quick Reply: 4l60e manual first gear problem. (((FIXED)))