Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

revised torque converter clutch valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Default revised torque converter clutch valve

Does anyone info on a revised torque converter clutch valve that eliminates PWM. I installed a Transgo HD2 kit in my 4L60E but I don’t recall anything about a revised torque converter clutch valve. Does someone make a kit for this and what is the benefit of eliminating the PWM?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It's included in the HD-2 kit. It changes lock-up clutch engagement to full on or off versus the "pulsed" gradual engagement protocol effected by the stock valve.

The benefit is better clutch life ... like the difference on a manual car between direct full engagement versus slipping the clutch.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks. I will go back and reread the instructions.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I posted this in reply to bbond105 in another thread:

RevGTO is referring to Page-3 of the TG HD2 instructions:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html

The Transgo and Sonnax shift kits replace the troublesome PWM TCC valve with a simpler On/Off TCC valve. Most aftermarket converter companies suggest using a On/Off TCC valve to extend the life of their lockup clutch. GM uses a PWM valve so that the TCC engagement cannot be felt; I think most of us here prefer to feel it engage. (If you remove the check ball at the end of the input shaft you will feel it more like a shift.)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Does anyone info on a revised torque converter clutch valve that eliminates PWM. I installed a Transgo HD2 kit in my 4L60E but I don’t recall anything about a revised torque converter clutch valve. Does someone make a kit for this and what is the benefit of eliminating the PWM?
Block the valve from moving.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks RevGTO and mrvedit

It had been almost 2 years since I had installed the TG HD2 kit. So I went back and read the instructions and I did install the revised valve on Page-3. I have also installed the Sonnax Heavy Duty 2-3 Shift Valve http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2464 that thunderstruck507 mentioned on another thread. I had also installed the Sonnax Servo Release “Check Valve” http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2432 but I am going to remove it. PBA says that the TG HD2 kit address this another way in the thread mrvedit mentioned above technical shift kit install questions.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

To eliminate pwm take the front half of the stock valve out remove the short spring and replace it with a 4l60 e inner pump slide spring . That will work on 96 up until they changed the valve then find any spring stiff enough to keep the valve from moving that will fit in the valve . I have used this on thousands of units rather than spend for the sonnax valve and screw around reaming the bore then the sonnax valve sticks too . So I have had only 1 customer complain about the bump . But after I explained the benefit of eliminating pwm she lived with it.

Quick Reply: revised torque converter clutch valve