Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 abuse

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:24 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 4L80 abuse

I am going to use a 4L80 in my 80 mustang behind the 6 liter, and after considering how much to spend, I hear and see allot with not much done but basic rebuilds and a Trans brake and they take more abuse than my combo will put out.

Anyone pushing mild rebuilds to extreme limits? As long as I don't WOT to 4th I assume it doesn't matter.

Also wondering how vital it would be if I want to lock up the converter after launch that I get better than a single disc setup?

Would also like to know the best way to go as far as a Trans brake makers.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

There should be plenty of feedback on my 4L80E transbrakes on this forum and others.
We make two different styles, one that the shifter must be in 1st gear and another that can be launched with the shifter in any forward gear, we recommend 3rd.

We've had some of our Stage 2 builds (no billet parts) live at over 1200 RWHP although I don't recommend it.

The OEM input shaft metallurgy is questionable and not designed for transbrake applications, so we prefer to upgrade them at anything 750 flywheel HP/TQ or greater and sometimes less depending on the weight/usage.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, just looking for someone local to upgrade a core with a rebuild and a brake. I just cannot swing the prices you have and get a converter. I head great things about your Trans setup, but I don't have what your Trans cost in my entire 6 liter mustang.

Quick Reply: 4L80 abuse