Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans went out

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Trans went out

Info on the trans it has a hardened planetary and shift kit. It shifts super hard into second. I let off the gas before it shifts into 2nd during everyday driving because it is that hard. I was racing a friend from a dig in mexico. just a friendly race. when it hit second, it wheel hopped and the abs light came on. right after the shift i let off the gas. i came to a stop to look under and see if anything broke (last time it did i cracked the tailshaft mount) Nothing broke so i put it in drive and started to go. It got to 3rd, i pressed the gas and it didnt go anywhere. (****) i have to put it in 2nd. it shifts to 3rd but wont go into 4th. it will downshift but wont upshift, even in 3rd. I have to shift it down to 2nd for it to upshift. i know i got to get it pulled out and rebuilt. Whats the damage i should be expecting????
Old 03-03-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

My 02 SS camaro did the same thing. I had wheel hop when shifting into 2nd gear and broke the Forward Clutch Sprag. The reason your car would move in 1st & 2nd is because the overrun clutches are applied in these gears and was taking for the broken sprag. With any luck you may be able to get away with just replacing the Forward Clutch Sprag. Sure to install the updated 29 sprag. The Sonnax Heavy Duty 2-3 Shift Valve Part # 77754-41 will help the sprag hold up better. It applies the overrun clutches in 1, 2 and 3 gears when the gear shifter is in the D3 position and helps take some of the load off of the sprag.

You may want to add some UMI Performance rear lower control arms part # 4015-B. these will help eliminate your wheel hop. While you’re in the trans another good idea would be to tame down that 1-2 shift.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yea. im just gonna get the trans rebuilt. i can smell burnt trans fluid from inside. got a quote for 1200 to pull it, do a better then stock rebuild and reinstall. hopefully that will reduce the 1/2 shift. definitely will get the relocation brackets to reduce the wheel hop. idk what they put in the trans to make it shift so hard but when wet, it would spin the tires if i didnt let off.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
yea. im just gonna get the trans rebuilt. i can smell burnt trans fluid from inside. got a quote for 1200 to pull it, do a better then stock rebuild and reinstall. hopefully that will reduce the 1/2 shift. definitely will get the relocation brackets to reduce the wheel hop. idk what they put in the trans to make it shift so hard but when wet, it would spin the tires if i didnt let off.
Dang 1,200 is a good price for labor and parts
Old 03-04-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i thought it was a good price as well. hope its the last time to go through this chit
Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

There are several things that can cause an excessively hard 1-2 shift:
1. Line pressure is too high. This can be caused by a defective engine sensor, an aggressive tune or a defective EPC (Pressure Control Solenoid).
2. Too tight of a 1-2 accumulator due to an aggressive shift kit. Never use the B&M shift kit as it disables the 1-2 accumulator completely. Generally no more than one washer should be used with the Transgo HD2 shift kit.
3. Other problem in the 1-2 accumulator such as a broken spring, cracked piston or worn bore. Always rebuild with an aluminum piston; throw any plastic piston away. If the Transgo HD2 kit's 1-2 springs are NOT used, the Sonnax Pinless piston is an excellent and suggested replacement.

Make sure your rebuilder uses the best BW HD dual-cage sprag. As mentioned, the Sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve will reduce the load on your sprag if you race in [D3]. Reminder - if you don't have that valve, you should race in [OD]. This thread might help you understand things better:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ure-flare.html
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vote is get a built tranny. LOL
Old 03-07-2014, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

update drove it to the shop. had the guy drive it. it acted up once, then he manually shifted it into drive and it went. drove it back and it worked fine as if nothing happened. im still bringing it to the guy monday to get it serviced and he can look at the valve body and service it. the fluid smells burnt so its needed anyway. i dont know what to look for and he can do a full flush and service on it.

Quick Reply: Trans went out