Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built awd 4l70e, need two parts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built awd 4l70e, need two parts...

The collection of parts to build my Trailblazers 4l70 is almost complete. I have yet to find a source to purchase all of the clutches...for example:

4 Borg-Warner reverse/input clutches .078
4 Reverse/input "low drag" Turbulator steels .078
1 Reverse/input waved steel (eliminates the oem belleville spring that tears the inside of the drum up)
5 Borg-Warner forward clutches .070
5 Forward steels .091
2 Borg-Warner overrun clutches .078
2 Overrun steels .091
5 Borg-Warner low/reverse clutches .087
5 Low/reverse "low drag" Turbulator steels .068

Aside from in kits, I need a source for those clutches. And the other part I need and am undecided on, is the Sunshell. The beast or the newer Sonnax model. I have yet to meet anyone with experience with the Sonnax, and would love to hear some opinions on it. I read this about them:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-...art-shell.html

For just 1 comment today, you could help support a trailblazer getting back on the road.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Makco transmission for your clutch needs. The standard beast shell should be all you need but the sonnax piece is a nice addition and may require you to update other parts to properly use in your unit.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
Try Makco transmission for your clutch needs. The standard beast shell should be all you need but the sonnax piece is a nice addition and may require you to update other parts to properly use in your unit.
The Sonnax Smart shell is recommended and does NOT require updating anything else. Of course end play should always be checked during any rebuild.
Lookup the specs for the better FLT transmissions - they all use the Sonnax shell now.

Contact Jeff (owner) at TruTechTrans; he can put any desired kit of parts together for with the Sonnax sunshell.

Last edited by mrvedit; 03-05-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, my next question was going to be what needs done to make the sonnax work. I'll try those sources and hopefully be back on the road soon. This all started when my forward sprag let go in some icy conditions, and I decided I didnt really want to do this again.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The Sonnax shell comes as a kit with the shell, the bearing underneath it and a custom roller clutch race. Plus instructions.
http://www.sonnax.com/landing_pages/smartshell

I don't know if you saw my detailed thread on the different shells:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...art-shell.html

Quick Reply: Built awd 4l70e, need two parts...