Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive shaft diff between auto and manual.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drive shaft diff between auto and manual.

My car is an auto with the stock 4l60e trans in it. Do auto and manual cars have two different length ds's or are they the same? My ds it dosent look like the yoke is far enough in the tail housing to me. Its got about 2in of yoke from the end of the seal to the balancer ring and this dosent look normal to me. If anyone knows or could take a measurement of their stock auto trans driveshaft from ujoint center to center on the shaft itself excluding the yoke Id appreciate it. A pic or the #'s off the sticker on the side of the shaft would work also I guess. I bought this car used and dont know what all the previous owner did to it. I just need to make sure its got the proper ds in it.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are the same
Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks. It just looked like alot of yoke hanging out the back and the DS was a lil short.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, same shaft length and specs. Some auto cars got steel, all M6 cars got aluminum.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:45 PM

Default 2007 mustang gt premium 5-speed auto

I have an 07 gt premium and only have a cold air intake and exhaust system, ive been thinking of getting an after market driveshaft and 4.11 gears so i can get off the line faster its my daily and ive gutted the back seats and back interior out and i was wondering if i could use an after market driveshaft said for a manual "like all ive seen" on my automatic trans.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

So lets all just try and be clear here... since everyone here so far, has been lacking in any actual specifics...

The OP was asking if 1998 through 2002 F-body vehicles share a common drive-shaft length between models produced with a 4L60E automatic transmission and models produced with a T-56 manual transmission.
The answer to which was: Yes.

I do not want people who read this thread, to fall under the belief that automatic transmission and manual transmission drive-shafts are simply interchangeable in a general means.
This is simply not the case.
Please... let us all try and be more specific in situations like this (including myself).
The following users liked this post:
1MEANZEE (03-02-2024)
Old 12-13-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey Scott
I have an 07 gt premium and only have a cold air intake and exhaust system, ive been thinking of getting an after market driveshaft and 4.11 gears so i can get off the line faster its my daily and ive gutted the back seats and back interior out and i was wondering if i could use an after market driveshaft said for a manual "like all ive seen" on my automatic trans.
Mikey Scott...

First off, you should really create your own thread for situations like this.
Next, can you be more specific in regard to what the vehicle you have is and has.
Last, drive-shafts in general are not universally interchangeable amount different vehicles/ engines/ transmissions Etc...

You are posting this on a primarily LS engine/ General Motors vehicle based website/ forum.
Are we to assume you are asking about a 2007 Ford Mustang GT with a LS engine swap and GM transmission swap?
Are you asking about Ford vehicles on a website mostly dedicated to GM based knowledge?
If you do have a Mustang with a GM based power-train swap... The Hybrid forum is where you should look to creating new threads for the most part.

I want to assume you are asking about a 2007 Ford Mustang GT with a 4.6L Ford modular V8 with a Ford 5R55S five speed automatic transmission. You wish to know if the drive-shaft from the same type of mustang; however with a Tremec TR-3650 five speed manual transmission, can be swapped into your vehicle... But then why would you be asking this on LS1TECH.com?

So I don't know what to think... I am sorry, but I get very tired of trying to play mind-reader with all the customers who come to my shop.
Some details and even an explanation can go a very long way in helping you to achieve the knowledge that you are looking to obtain from people.

Good luck :-)

Old 12-14-2019, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
So lets all just try and be clear here... since everyone here so far, has been lacking in any actual specifics...

The OP was asking if 1998 through 2002 F-body vehicles share a common drive-shaft length between models produced with a 4L60E automatic transmission and models produced with a T-56 manual transmission.

I do not want people who read this thread, to fall under the belief that automatic transmission and manual transmission drive-shafts are simply interchangeable in a general means.
Please... let us all try and be more specific in situations like this (including myself).
Why are they not interchangeable?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc

Wow, well dude, if that's what you grasp from reading this thread.....uh not sure what to tell you. Let me help you.....THEY ARE INTERCHANGEABLE!
Old 12-16-2019, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Wow, well dude, if that's what you grasp from reading this thread.....uh not sure what to tell you. Let me help you.....THEY ARE INTERCHANGEABLE!
Really? every auto trans ever can swap driveshafts with any manual trans ever?

Probably not...if you re-read the post you quoted...you'll see that he did read the thread and says YES the f body auto and manual driveshafts can be swapped.
He clarifies by saying not every auto driveshaft can swap with every manual driveshaft...ever.

In reference to mustangs (which I believe is what the other guy is likely asking about as he said GT)...I have no idea if auto and manual driveshafts can swap in that platform. The auto may be longer/shorter than the manual not allowing a swap. So...I think what vortech said was prettymuch right on track
Old 12-17-2019, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Guy bumps a 5 year old thread, barely used punctuation, only to ask about a mustang.....LORDY.
The following users liked this post:
MaroonMonsterLS1 (12-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Drive shaft diff between auto and manual.