Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what tranny to install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tranny to install

hey guys, I finally have my 6.0 built for my 1968 firebird, but I wanted to get some input on what tranny to run. I have a built th400 in it, but I am thinking of changing, the question is, do I install a t56, or a 4l60e/4l80e with a manual valve body? im gonna be pushing 500-600 with nitrous. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would avoid a 4l60e unless you want to spend a bunch of money rebuilding it...If you want a manual I would go t56, if you want an auto with over drive I would go 4l80e....really need more info on what you want to do with the car, and how you are going to drive it...
Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default What trannie...

My choice is the 4l65 cause has heavy duty spider gears and yes you have to have it upgraded for that kind of power but well worth it, and their overdrive is a plus.

My choice shop for the 4l65 is RPM transmissions out of Indiana they can build it to take over 1K HP and is a very light and compact transmission.

Their level 5 rocks level 6 includes billet output shaft and level 7 includes billed in and out put shafts, you can else get their trans brake.

One great fissure they have is every transmission is tested in their transmission dino before they ship out to you so you know will always work the first time.

They else have a refreshment program whereby you only pay a fraction of the original cost when you need it fixed again.

If you send them a 4l60 you will pay to have the spider gears upgraded to the 4l65 and will cost a bit more so you may want to ask first.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM
FormerVendor

I would use one of our custom manufactured built to order Gearstar Performance Transmissions 4L80E Level 3 with a custom stalled 10 or 11" full billet Yank Racing torque converter with lock up. We can manufacture your transmission with a full manual valve body or computer controlled. We are running some great deals on this transmission right now! To order your Torque converter Please contact at Dave 775-826-9955 or E-mail him at dave@converter.cc

Quick Reply: what tranny to install