Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with lockup issue diagnosis please

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with lockup issue diagnosis please

I had my 4L60e rebuilt (beast upgrade & shift kit included) about a year and a half ago. I also added a 3500 TCI SSF stall. The car is a DD and has driven great for the year and a half since the mods.

Last week I noticed my RPMs were running higher than normal on the way home from work at highway speeds. I logged a couple runs home to compare with older logged runs and noted that RPMs increased 500-900 at lockup?

I have toggled lockup manually (HPTuners) and the car drives much better with it off. RPMs increase every time I lock up, regardless of the speed.

Does this point to converter failure? Solenoid? Fluid on the dipstick looks good, no smell or discoloration. Temps run consistent at about 200. Tranny pulls hard in all 4 gears, so I suspect no clutch issues.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Default Update

Just dropped the tranny. It apparently had a moderate drip coming from between the converter and the front pump. Looking at it outside the vehicle, I see no obvious leak point or obvious damage. I did find a cracked flex plate.

Does anyone know if a trans shop can dyno test a transmission out of the car? If so, any idea what they charge?

Last edited by jag42420; 04-03-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Default Update #2

Took the stall to a converter shop today. They tested it for $25. It's toast, the clutch is gone (typical TCI). This caused my loss of lockup. Having it rebuilt now ($150).

Spoke with a few transmission shops. All feel my leak may be due to a faulty front hub, but none are sure. Evidently they are notorious for turning. Has anyone replaced their own? Shops want $300-350 and are 1 week wait.

Quick Reply: Help with lockup issue diagnosis please