Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diving in to 4l80e rebuild need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diving in to 4l80e rebuild need advice

I picked up what was supposed to be a rebuildable 4l80e off of craigslist for $50.00. So far in tearing it apart it needs new pump, new overdrive assembly,input shaft. (bushings worn so bad it scored the shafts and pump mating surfaces). The roller clutch came apart inside the overdrive assambly. Intermediate shaft and ring gear assembly need to be replaced also due to excessive bushing wear. plus all the normal replacement parts. SO where is a good place to source these parts. Im trying to stay budget with this, as it is my first endeavor into an automatic and want to keep it relatively inexpensive in case I totally screw it up. Also I see a dent in the valve body mating surface right adjacent to the manual 2 brake band servo, but it kind of looks like it was machined there on purpose??? Iv included pics. Is this ok? Also iv taken apart some clutch assemblies to look at them and noticed that alot of the steels have notches on an outside lug. Are these supposed to go any particular way, it seems they came out in no particular order, with the exception of one of the units where all the v's had to align. Just some general questions I had when dissasembling this thing. Thanks for the help
Attached Thumbnails Diving in to 4l80e rebuild need advice-dsc01678.jpg   Diving in to 4l80e rebuild need advice-dsc01676.jpg   Diving in to 4l80e rebuild need advice-dsc01675.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

With that many bad hard parts, you might consider getting a better 4L80E off craigslist. Something in the $250 range might have what you need. $500 units are often ready to use.

Alternatively ebay seller "powertrainpartsplus" has many of those parts and I have always been very happy with my purchases from them. Still finding another 4L80E seems to be cheaper.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
With that many bad hard parts, you might consider getting a better 4L80E off craigslist. Something in the $250 range might have what you need. $500 units are often ready to use.

Alternatively ebay seller "powertrainpartsplus" has many of those parts and I have always been very happy with my purchases from them. Still finding another 4L80E seems to be cheaper.

Thats kind of what i was thinking, however I scoured ebay really quick and it seems like parts arent as expensive as I would have expected. seller "shift right transmissions" has complete rebuilt overdrive planets with overrun drum and clutch assemblys for $129.00 with input shaft. Iv seen pumps from 50-100 and the parts in the back end werent to expensive either.(intermediate shaft and ring gear) I fiigure $300 in used or rebuilt hard parts, of course used parts are a gamble but a used tranny is too. Im still trying to decide what to do. I want to build one just for the experience. If I came across another in the 250.00 range I would probably snag it, but seems they are mostly $400.00 and up and not quite sure what you are getting. I still feel like this one i picked up for $50.00 was a steal even if only to take it apart! I will chek out your recommended seller also. Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Does anybody have any advice on those pics of the valve body mating surface. Is this there for a reason? Run it or not?

Quick Reply: Diving in to 4l80e rebuild need advice