Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

firm/hard shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question firm/hard shifts?

Ok, Im super hyped right now, finally got my 3500 stall, and transgo shiftkit and B&M cooler installed and took it for my first spin around the parking lot to try it out. Only question I have is, I never felt these hard pounding shifts Ive heard so much about, and I put in all 3 washers. I tried to manually shift, same thing. Is it maybe because it'll only happen at WOT or at higher speeds? I thought for some reason all my shifts would be hard. Could my band be worn, or some clutchpacks already shitty? I never checked these things out while it was appart... Input is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by aNuBiS; 05-17-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dunno...my tci kit wasnt that harsh before the converter & definitly the converter mushed everything up even more.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Question

ya, but the TCI kit I doubt was equal or even similar to the transgo. I was told, oh, dont do 3 washers, it'll shift so hard blah blah, well Im crazy and went with all 3 washers and I dont really feel any hard shifting. Granted, I never drove the car before installing the parts, but I expected more than this. I just bought the car, and before even driving it, I put a bunch of parts in it.

Last edited by aNuBiS; 05-17-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Part throttle shifts are allowed by the PCM to be
mushy and slow. If the shift kit makes things work
quicker, it will just ease back on the line pressure
even more trying to just barely meet a 0.4sec
shift cycle time by adaptation. WOT should be a
different story. But get the adaptation times
down to more sensible values (even without the
kit) and you'll bark or spin on shifts.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:19 PM
10 Second Club

ok, i was just under the impression that a transgo shiftkit changed all of that, and because of the added washers, and stiffer springs, that the shifts would be harder all the time, regardless of fluid pressure. I do have HPtuners, is there anything I could change to resolve this? Come to think of it now, I also may be low on transmission fluid, I just put in about 9 LITRES, and if im not mistaken, the tranny takes about 8 QUARTS, plus, I installed a 24,000 B&M cooler. So I may in fact still be low on fluid, and have lower pressure, so not shifting as hard as it should. Ill check the dipstick again after sitting overnite, and see where Im at.

Last edited by aNuBiS; 05-17-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, i would check it again and see where to go from there
Old 05-19-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a billet servo along with a trans go shift kit put in my car...99 Z28, it barely made a difference. Once i got the tuning done to my car and the line pressure boosted up, it made an awsome difference. Im getting 3rd gear scratches, and new riders in my car get scared drving slow.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Restricted User

First, why do you want firm part throttle shifts? If you have all 3 washers in, (which just about eliminates accumulation) and you are using the boost valve that came with the Shift kit, then this is as firm as you can make it without doing a program edit. If the transmission is shifting quickly, then this fine, you do not need it to shift hard at light throttle openings. The 9.5" TC with a high stall is going to "hide" the firmness of the shift, which is a good thing in that it transmits less "shock" to the geartrain. You can make this transmission shift too hard, which will accomplish nothing, except create problems, and parts breakage. The only time it should shift firm is at WOT! Remember the smaller the diameter the TC and the higher the stall the faster the shifts are occuring, since there is "less" resistance to the shift.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Cool

K ya, I actually finally put some miles on the car, and I do notice firm WOT shifts. All I have to say is, anyone who is hesitant about putting all 3 washers... DONT BE. Its not that big of a deal. It doesnt 'snap your neck' like I was expecting. Its just a nice firm shift. I checked my fluid, and its in the 'warm'. So Im pretty sure thats a safe range. Seeing as how I had only driven it 5mins at the time, it should of been there. I'll check it again in the morning, see where its sitting. Thanks to all.

Last edited by aNuBiS; 05-19-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

hey probuiltauto heres a redundant question but ya seem like ya know your **** so i want your opnion on a stock 4l60e that seem alot of agressive driving and minimal city use is setting the hypertech line pressure to 100% of allowable a good or bad idea .... ive had mine set like this now for about 11k of my cars 13k miles and love it its not harsh at part throdle at all just firm and persice so is this a bad thing? also if yyou can please comment on this thread i started ---> https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/173307-a4-abuse-question.html
Old 05-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Restricted User

Depending on how the accumulation was setup at the factory, modifying the computer to make it shift firmer in most cases will make the paer throttle shifts harsh to very harsh. In your particular case, it does not seem to have done this. If you are happy with this and the part throttle shifts are just quick & not to firm, I guess it's ok.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks cAN YOU AKE A SWING AT MY OTHER THREAD I HAVE LINKED IT ABOVE IM NOT GETTING MUCH RESPONCE THERE