Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 leaking with slow gear engagement

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80 leaking with slow gear engagement

I'm just going to copy everything from another forum I posted it on.

Little backgroud on this trans. Stock 4l80, had the pump and direct cluthes replaced. Installed the wrong torque converter. Fixed the pump, converter, and clutches.

Symptoms: Slow engagement of gears if trying to take off IMMEADIATELY after starting. Like the converter is not primed. Just noticed the 2-3 shift feel a little sluggish today. The fluid was at the most 1qt low. Fluid was everywhere under the truck, but looked to be coming from inside the dust cover.

I'll run a line pressure test tomorrow(I've got my gauge loaned out now.) Any ideas on what this might be? Could this be as simple as the front pump seal leaking and 1qt low on fluid causing these symptoms?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I did some pressure tests on the transmission.

Reverse at 2000 rpms - 270psi
idle in basically all gears - 40-60psi
2000 rpms in all forward gears - 150-160psi
WOT- 150-160psi

The pressure test made me feel a little better. There are 3 issues that have me concerned. 1.) the trans is slow to engage in gear if you drop it into gear after immediately start it. Feels like everything has lost its prime. 2.) fluid leak from in the dustcover area. 3.) 3rd gear shift feels fine, but more sluggish then it use to.

2 weird issues I noticed with the trans pressure test. 1.) Under mild acceleration, the gauge would fluctuate sparatically between 80-160 psi. Almost seemed unrelated to the rpms. i have a video if anyone is interested in helping. 2.) Under HARRRDDDD 2-3 WOT shifts the WOT line pressure drops from 160psi to ~125psi. It will only do it if it is not spinning and is really straining the trans.

Generally just concerned with the health of the transmission. I estimate to be around 500whp now, and the trans is bone stock. Should have done a shift kit a while ago. Going to take it to my trans guy tomorrow and see what he things. Does anyone else have any insight?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anyone have any insight? I put together a video of the pressure test and the few issues I was concerned about. Trans guy seems to think its a pin hole leak on the torque converter, which I think is a diagnosis to cover up with shitty work on installing the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw-x...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: 4l80 leaking with slow gear engagement