Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much hp on stock 4l80e converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much hp on stock 4l80e converter?

I am hesitant to go spend a bunch of cash on the circle d converter I want at this stage in my build because I won't be putting out near my goal hp.

I am considering what the catastrophic disadvantages would be to just running a stock converter?

1972 nova, stock lq4, gt45 turbo on 9psi, e85, fully built 4l80e with remote dual pass cooler with fan.
It is a street car, not a drag car, and I will eventually turn the boost up, but probably not until next year when the car is much safer.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The weight savings alone is worth it If you're boosting i'd go with a multi-disc and recommend Circle-D as well
Old 05-26-2014, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

For as far as you've gone with the build now, and if you do have a fully built 4L80E, I'd say you're not doing the car justice by putting in a stock 80E converter. They're very heavy, not as strong as a well built converter and they can not stall very high, you will be leaving a lot on the table by keeping one. However that's not to say I can't see your point in wanting to put one in there if the car won't fully utilize it, though putting a good one in now will save you the hassle of having to swap it out later as well.

Perhaps consider giving us a look if you're interested in a converter. Hit us up and I'll work out a good price with you on a custom billet single or multi disc converter
Old 05-26-2014, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree. The OE 4l80 unit has a couple inherent issues. #1 Size. #2 A small surface area on the pilot that actually centers the converter in the crank or crank spacer and can cause vibration issues when it wears. #3 Some of the later model cores had a weaker bearing on the stator that can come apart and ruin your converter and possibly your 4l80. A couple good reads on the subject.

http://www.sonnax.com/articles/3-Sal...4L80-E-Stators

http://www.sonnax.com/articles/15-Hi...0-E-Converters

-Brian
Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Can I follow this up with another question?

How much power can the stock 4l80e flexplate handle before it becomes a concern as well?
Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming the converter is properly centered in the crank, the 80e flex plate will hold a good deal of power. It doesn't have near the cracking issues of some of the dished LS plates.

-Brian

Quick Reply: How much hp on stock 4l80e converter?