Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard shift from 1st to 2nd HELP

Old 06-17-2014, 04:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard shift from 1st to 2nd HELP

I have 68 camaro with 350 373 rear a 96 4l60e and a tci 2nd gen computor.It shifts hard from 1st to 2nd at low speed. Ive tried lowering line pressure in 1st to 2nd but that didnt help. trans shifts great otherwise. Do you think its a sensor or a tune or both? thanks
Old 06-17-2014, 05:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Is the trans stock or a built unit . shift kit ? Larger servos need more info.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

First, I would scan the PCM for codes. If there is a trans slip code (e.g. 1870) or a sensor code the PCM might command max line pressure and result in hard shifts.

After that, hooking up a trans pressure gauge is the key to diagnosing this. Either get your own on ebay for $45 or have a local trans shop do it for you.

If the pressure is high, you have a sensor, PCM or tune problem. Or a defective PCS (Pressure Control Solenoid, also called EPC) which is easy to replace.
If the pressure is correct/moderate it could be due to a (excessive) shift kit or a cracked piston in the 1-2 accumulator.

If you want to skip the pressures test, then take off the pan and filter and remove the 3 screws that hold on the 1-2 accumulator - the dome shaped thingy-ma-bob. Take a good picture of all the internal parts and post it. That will tell us if you have a shift kit and which shift kit. The stock piston is plastic and often cracks; check for that too.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:09 AM
Teching In

update worn tcc bore. the fix sonnax reamer and valve.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigVin
update worn tcc bore. the fix sonnax reamer and valve.
If you have already done or committed to it, great; it is the proper "OEM" fix. IIRC the reamer is $150 and the valve is $50; of course some trans shops will already have the reamer.

However there is a cheaper alternative - replace the troublesome PCM TCC valve with a on/off valve, e.g. the Fitzall valve or the TCC valve from Trango or supplied with the Sonnax shift kit. Each of these is less than $20.
With an on/off TCC valve the lockup clutch engages more solidly instead of super-smoothly. I think nearly everyone on this forum would prefer to more solid engagement; non-car-enthusiasts don't want to feel any shifts or anything for that matter.
Also, most of the aftermarket converter companies prefer use of the on/off TCC valve.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
If you have already done or committed to it, great; it is the proper "OEM" fix. IIRC the reamer is $150 and the valve is $50; of course some trans shops will already have the reamer.

However there is a cheaper alternative - replace the troublesome PCM TCC valve with a on/off valve, e.g. the Fitzall valve or the TCC valve from Trango or supplied with the Sonnax shift kit. Each of these is less than $20.
With an on/off TCC valve the lockup clutch engages more solidly instead of super-smoothly. I think nearly everyone on this forum would prefer to more solid engagement; non-car-enthusiasts don't want to feel any shifts or anything for that matter.
Also, most of the aftermarket converter companies prefer use of the on/off TCC valve.
Thanks for the reply I'm going with the transgo code buster this is a 96 stock trans in good shape. With the pan off is there any other upgrades you would do?
Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the reply I'm going with the transgo code buster this is a 96 stock trans in good shape. With the pan off is there any other upgrades you would do?
Yes, I would also suggest the Sonnax 4L60-LB1 boost valve; it will raise the line pressure across the board and set a higher max pressure of around 230psi. Under $30 and only takes a few minutes to install; you need snap ring pliers.
Shift will feel slightly firmer and is likely to extend the life of your trans.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:59 AM
Teching In

I took pan and valve body off to do the upgrades and there is no spring in 3/4 accumulator. I think the accumulator are shift cushions 1/2 has 1 spring 3/4 none is this ok? Trans shifts good except for hard 1/2 low speed shift.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 AM
Teching In

I took pan and valve body off to do the upgrades and there is no spring in 3/4 accumulator. I think the accumulator are shift cushions 1/2 has 1 spring 3/4 none is this ok? Trans shifts good except for hard 1/2 low speed shift.
anyone have an opinion on 3/4 spring?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 AM

The stock 1-2 accumulator has two springs - a very stiff narrow one (.9" wide) one and a moderately stiff wider one (1.5" wide). I can compress the wider one significantly by hand, but the stiff one just barely.
Which one do you have?

The 4th accumulator spring is very soft. Some builders put in under the piston, some on top and other leave it out. These accumulators are pressurized by the accumulator valve which pressurizes fluid between the separator plate and each accumulator's piston. This accumulator fluid is the critical part, the springs modify the feel.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Teching In

In the 1/2 accumulator I have one yellow spring. I'm no trans expert but I think this trans has a shift kit in it. I put the tcc valve in and boost valve in. I though this was a stock 96 out of an Astro van. Valve body has a 93 cast into it. I would like to find out what year this trans is? Again this is in 68 Camaro with a PCS comp. trans shifted good except the hard low speed 1/2 shift. thanks for the help so far
trans id above pan rail pass side is 6wbd050b thats all I can find

Last edited by BigVin; 06-30-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Teching In

In the 1/2 accumulator I have one yellow spring. I'm no trans expert but I think this trans has a shift kit in it. I put the tcc valve in and boost valve in. I though this was a stock 96 out of an Astro van. Valve body has a 93 cast into it. I would like to find out what year this trans is? Again this is in 68 Camaro with a PCS comp. trans shifted good except the hard low speed 1/2 shift. thanks for the help so far
trans id above pan rail pass side is 6wbd050b thats all I can find
anyone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard shift from 1st to 2nd HELP