Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E swap. Not going into any gears.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L80E swap. Not going into any gears.

I have a 5.3L in my 80 Z28. I swapped in a 4L80E out of a 1993 Suburban and the co-worker i bought it from drove the vehicle to my house as i bought the whole truck. He daily drove it too.

Before i put it in the car i pulled the pan and put in a new internal harness and filter. Fluid was in good condition.

I installed it and it sat as i was sent west for work. When i got home i started it and finalized the fluid level. I also used a 6.0L flat flexplate with the built in spacer. My electronics are not hooked up either.
Well, no forward or reverse gears at all. I pulled pan and verified i had the filter in as i questioned that and the manual valve. Valve moves and filter is there. Yes the converter is bolted up too. I used the 4L80E dipstick tube and dipstick out of the Burban. Didnt hear any hints of pump cavitation either.
ANy ideas?
Whats my next move a pressure gauge i assume?
Is the test port just behind the shift cable linkage?
I was under the assumption i should have manual second and reverse even without the electronics.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You should have 2nd and reverse.

The biggest issue we see is low fluid level. Most people have NO IDEA how many times we see/hear of fluid level being too low causing trans issues and failure. Even shops seem to foul this up FREQUENTLY.

Don't trust the dipstick, verify it's accuracy with the pan off. THEN use it to ensure proper fill.

Add a couple of quarts of fluid, if it doesn't work, then put a pressure gauge on it.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:32 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

I hope your right Jake. I will put the pan back up and add more fluid and see. If not then i will bring the psi gauge home from work and check things out.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:48 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

What should the pressures be in PRN OD D21 at idle?
Anything i should look for before putting the pan back in place

Last edited by SSZ; 06-19-2014 at 04:18 AM. Reason: one other question before pan goes back in
Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Update.
Dumbass i am!!!!
It must have been low on fluid. I put the pan back up and refilled and kept close eye on level. Yep, must have not let it run long enough. I have reverse and i assume 2nd now. Thanks Jake. I guess having the trans sitting on a stand for a long period drained more than i thought.
Anyhow, i still put a gauge on and in park she is at 180 psi.
In reverse it was about 350 psi. This is at idle.
Can anyone confirm if these pressure ratings are good?
Also, i have to wire up the two speed sensors to my 0411 pcm which is out of a 2001 which originally had a 4L60E.
Any of you guys know the pinout numbers on the pcm connector for the ISS and OSS?
Thanks again. Sorry for my stupidity. I should have known better.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Never mind. Didnt realize the OSS was also the VSS. Sorry again guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L80E swap. Not going into any gears.