Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 conversion advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4l80 conversion advice

I picked up a low mile 4l80 yesterday to go with the LQ4 that will be going in my 2000 T/A sometime in the next few weeks. I have done a search and come up with what I think is the best option to go with on a daily driver. I am thinking about getting the BMR trans crossmember that relocates the torque arm off the trans housing. I plan to use the Speartech harness and a bin or segment swap from HP Tuners to use the stock computer to control the trans??? The car has been dyno tuned using HP Tuners and I also have it on my friends laptop to make any adjustments to the uploaded file if necessary without going back to the tuner to spend more $$$ that may not be needed. The only thing is IDK exactly what Im talking about with a segment swap or bin swap? Any help on clarifying what they are and what I would need to do to make this swap as painless as possible would be greatly appreciated. Any other helpful ideas are welcome also.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 06-23-2014, 05:57 PM
FormerVendor

I'm not sure what year 6.0 LQ4 you have, but be aware if it is a 99-00 iron headed model, the crank flange is longer than the rest of the LS motors. This limits you to the 4l80 flat flex plate and a converter with the short pilot and 6 mounting pad front cover. If it is not a 99-00, you should be able to use the setup of your choice. The physical conversion is pretty straight forward. What most people have issues with believe it or not is the shifter linkage bracket. You might research that more.

-Brian
Old 06-26-2014, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Circle-D_Brian
I'm not sure what year 6.0 LQ4 you have, but be aware if it is a 99-00 iron headed model, the crank flange is longer than the rest of the LS motors. This limits you to the 4l80 flat flex plate and a converter with the short pilot and 6 mounting pad front cover. If it is not a 99-00, you should be able to use the setup of your choice. The physical conversion is pretty straight forward. What most people have issues with believe it or not is the shifter linkage bracket. You might research that more.

-Brian
They are both out of 2006 model vehicles although not the same one. The engine is out of a 2500hd truck and the trans out of an express van. I was curious about the tuning part of it mostly and using the factory 2000T/A computer to run it. I was thinking about using the Speartech harness or something like that to make it as painless and cheap as possible all the while retaining stock like shifting features. I will check into the shifter bracket also. Any more ideas or info is welcomed. Thanks Brian.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Our BMR 4L80E torque arm relocation crossmember (TCC021) will definitely be a very good option for mounting the 4L80E in your car. If you have any questions or decide you want to order one just let us know and we will make sure you get taken care of.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: 4l80 conversion advice