Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission swap

Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission swap

Please help, I own a 2003 Suburban that has torque converter issues, I have a line on a free 2006 Sierra. Will the trans/torque converter swap? The Suburban is a 4L60E 4x4, 5.7L. The 2006 Sierra is a 4L60EI 2x4 with a 4.8L.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

I'm not familiar with all the truck versions of the LS engines, but it appears that both the Suburban and the Sierra have LS engines and therefore compatible transmissions. Therefore, I think the converters can be swapped.
The entire transmissions cannot be swapped because one is a 2WD and one is a 4WD and therefore have different output shafts. Changing output shafts is a big job requiring a lot of dissassembly which can easily spiral into a complete rebuild.

Hopefully one of the trans or converter pros can confirm or correct my info.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Default Trans swap

Thanks, that's what I thought.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were having torque converter issues with a factory 300mm converter, I would suggest you do a flush of the trans and cooler lines before you install the new (previously enjoyed) unit. The major failure point on a factory converter is the lockup clutch lining wearing thin thus sending metal fragments everywhere.

-Brian
Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

you may end up with ECM issues as the trans is run by that as well...
Old 07-04-2014, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ezstriper
you may end up with ECM issues as the trans is run by that as well...

x2
2006 uses a sensor on the input shaft and a different wire harness (case connector will be black rather than gray)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

The input speed sensor (ISS) on the 2006 will not matter as it is ignored by an older PCM.
I'm not sure if there will be a connector problem - the 2006 will have two more pins, but IIRC the 2002 harness connector will have unused holes for extra pins. Worst case the harness connector is a minor problem to overcome.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I'm not familiar with all the truck versions of the LS engines, but it appears that both the Suburban and the Sierra have LS engines and therefore compatible transmissions. Therefore, I think the converters can be swapped.
The entire transmissions cannot be swapped because one is a 2WD and one is a 4WD and therefore have different output shafts. Changing output shafts is a big job requiring a lot of dissassembly which can easily spiral into a complete rebuild.

Hopefully one of the trans or converter pros can confirm or correct my info.
This ^......

The output shaft for the 2WD and 4X4 versions are different. To swap them requires the trans to be gutted. Might as well rebuild the original at that point....

Rebuild the TQ converter and original trans. Do it your self for under $500 (special tools included).

I'd still take the other rig for sure though. Having a 4.8L to boost later laying around is nice to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission swap