Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Torque Converter

Just got me trans (4L60E) back from rebuilder and need some recomendations on torque converter. Engine is 97 LT1, 355 stock rotating assy, worked stock heads, worked stock intake, 52mm TB, GMHP LT4 hot cam and kit. Car is 39 Chevy sedan cruiser with 8.8 ford rear 3.55 gears. NO racing, street and highway use. I'm thinking around 2800-3000, but that's just a shot in the dark based on a lot of reading on the forums. Any, and all, advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I currently have a Yank SS3600 with 3.42 rear and find it too loose for the street; I will switch to a 3000-3200 during my next winter rebuild.
Therefore, I agree with your stall choice.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

2800 would be my vote if no racing is involved.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I currently have a Yank SS3600 with 3.42 rear and find it too loose for the street; I will switch to a 3000-3200 during my next winter rebuild.Therefore, I agree with your stall choice.
Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
2800 would be my vote if no racing is involved.
Any suggestions as to brand.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Sponsors Circle D and Yank make excellent street/strip converters that zillions of members here have been very happy with. Other excellent converters like FTI and PTC are IMO a bit more track oriented. Avoid the cheap TCI, Hughes or anything under $500 as they get nothing but complaints here and often ruin the entire trans. Search - lots of threads about converter choices.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Sponsors Circle D and Yank make excellent street/strip converters that zillions of members here have been very happy with. Other excellent converters like FTI and PTC are IMO a bit more track oriented. Avoid the cheap TCI, Hughes or anything under $500 as they get nothing but complaints here and often ruin the entire trans. Search - lots of threads about converter choices.
Yea, read a lot of bad about TCI, not so much about Hughes. If you dig enough and spend enough time on the net, you'll find bad stuff about almost anything. Ya gotta know what to filter out and what to keep. Talking to knowledgeable people in the forums that you trust helps.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:22 AM

I have read almost every post in this trans forum for 2+ years and don't recall any complaints about Yank, Circle D, FTI or PTC. Mostly people who went cheap and wish they hadn't because they ended up buying a good converter and sometimes a replacement trans too.
BTW - North Texas Converter is another sponsor. Circle D and North Texas quickly answer all converter related questions here; that is a sign of good customer service. And both build a converter to your exact specs - no "generic" units. You can select size, stall speed, STR, optional billet cover, even triple disk.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Teching In

I have read almost every post in this trans forum for 2+ years and don't recall any complaints about Yank, Circle D, FTI or PTC. Mostly people who went cheap and wish they hadn't because they ended up buying a good converter and sometimes a replacement trans too.
BTW - North Texas Converter is another sponsor. Circle D and North Texas quickly answer all converter related questions here; that is a sign of good customer service. And both build a converter to your exact specs - no "generic" units. You can select size, stall speed, STR, optional billet cover, even triple disk.
Again, thanks for the reply. I sent an email to Circle D and received a prompt reply answering my questions. A quick phone call to Chris at Circle D and my converter is on the way. Great guys to deal with, very knowledgeable and personable. Thanks Chris for a great transaction!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's our pleasure.... And appreciate the order.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Default Circle d converters

Over the years, I've built a half dozen or so vehicles. Dealing with vendors, both online and over the phone, is an endless task that must be endured if you want to get the right parts.

Needing a torque converter, I went online asking for advice and suggestions is several forums that I frequent. You can usually get a good feel for who know what and who is "blowing smoke". My current project is a 39 Chevy Sedan. 97 LT1 with stock fuel injection and PCM. Over the 2 years I've spent on this project I have to say that most of the vendors were helpful, some, not so much.

I just ordered a torque converter for my 4L65E from Chris at Circle D. I have to say that overall they are the best. Very quick in answering inquiries and easy to talk to. Vendors like Circle D deserves our business. Great job Chris!!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Awesome to know. Chris you may have a new customer. I am completing the "Ask Chris" form as we speak.

Shaun

Quick Reply: Advice on Torque Converter