Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having a hard time contacting Yank

Old 05-20-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default having a hard time contacting Yank

As anyone spoken to Mike at Yank recently?...I talked to him about three weeks ago concerning getting my PYE 3600 restalled. I have been trying all week to get a hold of him, and all I get is an answering machine. I have left a couple of messages, but no response. Does anyone here know of their current situation? I have the converter out of the car and boxed up, ready to go, but I would really hate to ship it out, without talking to him again.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT, anyone got some inside info on what their current status is?
Old 05-21-2004, 12:01 AM
blownerator

They are next to impossible to get intouch with. I know if you keep trying you will get through. Yank has a great product! They just never answer the phone!
Old 05-21-2004, 06:40 AM

You have to do what you have to do (re-stall) but there is NO WAY I am going to beg a company to take my money! It does not take much effort to return a phone call.

There are other torque converter companies (TCI) that have an equal or better product as well as great customer service.
Good luck
Old 05-21-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can TCI restall a Yank converter?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:45 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Have you left a detailed message on Mike's answering machine?

I am calling him today, what is your question, the cost?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Can TCI restall a Yank converter?

Yes TCI can re-stall a Yank converter. Call Kevin Winstead at 662-224-9355 or email him at Kevin@tciauto.com and he can help you out.

John
Old 05-21-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Have you left a detailed message on Mike's answering machine?

I am calling him today, what is your question, the cost?

Yes I have, three of them! Like I said I talked to him about 3 or 4 weeks ago for about 10 minutes, and explained to him what all I needed done to the converter, he gave me the price, and I told him that I would be shipping out it at the end of the month so that he could do the restall. I also told him I would call and talk to him again before I sent it out, just to verify that it was coming and to make sure that he understood my expectations. He said great and we left it at that. Now here we are, it's the end of the month and I have the converter out of the car and in a box sitting here on my desk. I have been trying to contact him since Monday to let him know that I am ready to ship it, and to confirm what will be done to the converter. I have left 3 messages...one on Monday, Weds, and Thurs, telling him who I am, and reminding him of the conversation from earlier this month, and trying to get the address to ship to. From my conversation with him earlier this month, he was very pleasent to deal with and took a lot of time to explain to me what all he was going to do. I'm just curious why he hasn't called back yet. Maybe he's sick or on vacation. I really don't know. The only thing I do know is that now I have an undrivable car.

Matt
Old 05-21-2004, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I left him a message. He does occasionally travel.

I would put a note in the box with the instructions and your number (which I left on his machine) since you need to restall it and it's not going to get done sitting in a box at your house. I just sent a converter for restall too (TCS 6900).
Old 05-21-2004, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I'm on the phone with him now Matt, he will call you... He said you should send it asap so he can get it done quickly, he is going to be moving the shop the week after next.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey John thanks for all your help...he gave me a call around 4:45 central. We talked for about 10 minutes and got everything staitened out. I went and dropped it off at the UPS store as soon as I got off the phone. He should recieve it Tuesday. I appreciate all your help...He said they have been real busy lately getting ready for the new shop.

Matt
Old 05-27-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have been trying for two weeks to get in touch with mike. I have emailed and left detailed messages but no response back. Can you get me in touch with him? I need to have a converter rebuilt also.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Mike actualy called me today I sent him my SS3800 for an upgrade he was quit informative ,but he is hard to get ahold of !!
Old 05-28-2004, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
As anyone spoken to Mike at Yank recently?...I talked to him about three weeks ago concerning getting my PYE 3600 restalled. I have been trying all week to get a hold of him, and all I get is an answering machine. I have left a couple of messages, but no response. Does anyone here know of their current situation? I have the converter out of the car and boxed up, ready to go, but I would really hate to ship it out, without talking to him again.

Thanks,

Matt
This topic gets my attention - I have been reading this message board and LS1.com before this board ever existed for 4 years now and I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Yank makes some kick-*** converters - best in their class, and this covers several classes: Yank Pro Thruster 4000 - 4400 absolutely kills anyone from a roll as well as from a stop given enough traction while beating anyone for efficiency at the top end. Their new SS series 3600 - 4000 are highly regarded for efficiency as well as streetabilty (if you're running drag radials).
The Super Yank 3500 - 4000 are unmatched in efficiency while providing great streetability on street tires. Pro Yank series - good Nitrous converter. The Super Thruster 3500 - well we won't talk about that one! - good converter, but seems a lot of people who sung praises then became pissed off with it. PonchoFan are you ou there???- at one point I think
Yank discontinued this converter - maybe still? There are numerous people that can chime in on problems and the lack of customer support on this...

2. Yank converters are expensive - but the general consensus is that they are worth it. I have no problem paying money for a quality product, and I do think they make some quality products.

3. Yank support - answering emails / phone calls ABSOLUTELY SUCKS unless your name happens to be Colonel, Raughhammer, or Pro Stock John, maybe a couple of others... Did I mention they absolutely SUCK???
If you are named in the above list, Mike @ Yank is very responsive, you just have to give him time... yeah right If you are anyone else - **** ON YOU - I WILL CALL YOU WHEN I DAMN WELL FEEL LIKE IT, IF EVER!!!! Now that is customer service!!!! Do a search, and I don't think you will find a vendor with as much negative feedback on customer service. I cannot think of any vendor that advertises on LSITech.com or LS1.com that even comes close!

4. There are some converters that are unmatched by any competitor - PT4000-4400 and SY3500-4000 come to mind. They filll different niches, but nobody comes close if you fit into one of these niches. The SS series 3600-4000 series you could argue that there is some competition, but the Yank's more than hold their own.

5. I actually like Yank for their products, and if I buy a converter, it will likely be from Yank, but this is in spite of their reputation for customer service - not because of it. It pisses me off how many people have been jerked around by Yank. This is no way to do business! If a competitor offered what I wanted, I would jump on it in an instant.

6. If you want a great converter - call Yank.

7. If you want to leave endless voicemails, emails with no response untill your blood boils - call Yank!!!

Last edited by Red2000SS; 05-28-2004 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:10 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well put, I feel a little different than you do. I will NEVER buy a yank because of the horror stories about non-communication. I dont care that it is the best.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:23 AM

Red2000SS -

5. I actually like Yank for their products, and if I buy a converter, it will likely be from Yank, but this is in spite of their reputation for customer service - not because of it. It pisses me off how many people have been jerked around by Yank. This is no way to do business! If a competitor offered what I wanted, I would jump on it in an instant.

This is exactly why Yank still has crappy customer service. Stop buying the product and things will change.

“The Super Thruster 3500 - well we won't talk about that one!”
This is a classic. How many people were told the reason their converter went bad or was chattering was because of their headers, MAF, TB, intake, tire size, gears, low line pressure, high line pressure, color of the car, shoe size, and the list goes on and on. If memory serves, Yank then came out with a “revised” lock-up clutch for the ST series. Soon after Yank quit selling the ST series for the LS1 F-body. But remember there was “nothing” wrong with the converter.

In the past it might have been correct to say that Yank converters were the best. It is easy to say you are the best when there were only 2 companies building high stall converters for the LS1 F-body. In fact you had a 50/50 chance of being the best and the worst you were going to be was 2nd best. For the record Precision Industries Vigilante series converters are a VERY good converter. PI has good performance and good customer service.

Now there are other companies (TCI just to name one) making these converters and their products are every bit as good if not better than the Yank converter and you do not have to pay an inflated price to get it. Not to mention the fact that you do not have to put up with the sorry Yank customer service.

So IMO you can stand in line and beg Yank to sell you a converter that is ~$200 more than an equally performing TCI converter plus you get the added benefit of phone calls going unanswered, no return calls when you leave a message, and generally crappy customer service.

What a deal! Pay more and get less.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

JNorris is the resident Yank hater FYI.

The bottleneck at Yank is Mike. He tries to build stuff and also answer phones at the same time, classic small business pitfall.

With his moving of his manufacturing to Nevada, he will also be adding phone support.

One good way to contact him is to fax him.

Reality is that if you want a custom converter you have to just get a hold of him. If you know what you want, you can fax him an order or leave a detailed message with the best time and place to call you.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
JNorris is the resident Yank hater FYI.

I really do not hate Yank. I just think they need to clean up their act!

Most of what I have posted above can be found by using the search function and derived from what the results show.
Do the results paint Yank in a bad light? Yes they do. But that is a situation that Yank has made for itself.
No need to shoot the messenger so to speak.

John
Old 05-28-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

I've been most successful by just mailing the converter back with a note attached, soon afterwads I get a call . Or yes faxing works well also.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

JNorris, if there is a way to make you happy, please email Mike @ Yankcnvt@aol.com and cc me at prostockjohn@hotmail.com we talk about you all the time.

-----
Folks if you know what you want, then call or fax Mike and then get it going. If you want regular phone calls it's not happening he's making stuff.

Search this Thread