Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stall converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stall converter

Im a new owner of a modified 02 TA WS6 Im not sure all that has been done to it, I was told it has a Hughes trans and it had a 3800 stall in it. It was dropping in and out of 4th I had it looked at and there changed the solenoids and told me at the time that the trans was only rated for a stall no bigger than a 2800 and that was what was causing the shifting problem. Well not long after the work I lost 4th completely and overheated the trans. I had a trans shop look at it and had it rebuilt. I told them what I had heard about the stall and they said that the cam I have, magic stick MS3, called for a 3800 but that the 2800 will be better for DD. I know Im around 500 RWHP and not sure what gear I have, housing is stock, I have noticed its a little slower off the line. So my question is what Ive been told BS and if the cam called for a 3800 am I going to damage anything with the 2800, I drive it pretty hard. 11.3 1/4
Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

"Trans was only rated for a stall no bigger than a 2800", is bullshit.
You need a different mechanic.
3600-4000 all day, everyday, ...
And a cooler for sure.

But if you "drive it pretty hard", ..., it will continunally cost you more money & parts.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well put.

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
And a cooler for sure.

But if you "drive it pretty hard", ..., it will continunally cost you more money & parts.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

I would go with at least 3500 and up for your stall if the Trans was built right he should have asked what you were doing with it and what kind of stall speed ur setup requires.. But I've ran a stock 60e for 2 Years with a 4k stall and stock long block Trans does fine locks up right around 45-50
Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get a tight converter if you're going to street drive it. Yank SS4000 is easy to drive on the road. Really should know where your powerband is on the cam to make the most optimal decision for racing. However, if that's not the most important to you, look for something at least 3500 that is not loose. Also, a really nice cooler. That's the most important part. A higher stalling trans is going to create more friction heat.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
And a cooler for sure.

thanks for the reply, with the bad advice that the stall was to big and causing the problem and all along it was the heat, its back in the trans shop now, i did get a warranty, to shifting again, they can pay for it this time. I ordered a cooler today. Car was much better with the 3800, your right about the money, Im going to have the bigger one put back in.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Tinsley
thanks for the reply, with the bad advice that the stall was to big and causing the problem and all along it was the heat, its back in the trans shop now, i did get a warranty, to shifting again, they can pay for it this time. I ordered a cooler today. Car was much better with the 3800, your right about the money, Im going to have the bigger one put back in.
Did you have an aftermarket stall installed without a trans cooler? Because a stall that big will cause some heat and without a cooler.

Quick Reply: stall converter