Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help, No Keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help, No Keys

Hello Everyone, Today I'm heading out to Pick up My first car I ever bought (1997 Firebird W68 Y87 <3 ) I left it behind in my Hometown and its been 2 Years since I've seen it and in those two years I've lost the keys to it . So Im trying to figure out is there anyway to put this car from Park into Neutral with out Keys. I've read that there "might" be Switch under the Car by the Transmision to put it in Neutral, Is that true? or that by removing the center counsel by the shifter theres a part you can push down to go in neutral. I really dont want to remove the Drive shaft, if theres another Option.

I know this isn't an LS1 Car but I cant seem to get any replies from other members in other forums. I do Own an LS1 however, 1998 Trans Am WS6.

Please any Help or Information is greatly appreciated. Thank You for your time.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I don't know the Gen 4 well, but based on the following thread you have a mechanical interlock between the key and the trans:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...tion-help.html

On other cars the mechanical interlock is at the point where the shifter cable connects to the trans. Working under the car, you might find that easier to disconnect than removing the driveshaft.

Perhaps a Gen 4 owner here can confirm or correct me.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Just unhook the shiftcable from the trans and mover the lever on the side off the trans by hand.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Just unhook the shiftcable from the trans and mover the lever on the side off the trans by hand.
What he said ^^ but you wont be able to steer this stolen car, lol. Kidding

Quick Reply: Need Help, No Keys