Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350: 1st gear locked up, now slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH350: 1st gear locked up, now slipping?

Hey guys, trying to figure out what's going on with my TH350. The tranny is a professionally built performance TH350: stock pattern, full automatic, shift kitted, 4000 stall. Here is my issue:

Last night I did a very short 1st gear pull, let out...the car rolled to a stop. I put the car in reverse, back up about 10 feet, and dropped the shifter back to 1st. At this point the motor was free-revving, but not moving (or rolling), the car would drive just find when shifted to 2nd.

Later, on the drive home, I popped the shifter into 1st as I was coming to a stop to see what it would do, The car jerked (almost like I put it into park) for a split second, then kept moving and 1st gear started working again, but was slightly stuttering. I parked the car overnight, and went back out to play with it today. Now when i put the car in 1st, the tranny slips up to about 2500 rpm before the car will start moving. Response in Reverse, 2nd, and 3rd are perfect. Sometimes when leaving in 2nd, the car will leave in 1st and shift to 2nd like normal, sometimes it will just leave in 2nd.

Opinions? Fluid is clean and full. I basically want to determine whether the problem is likely in the valve body, or if I'm going to have to tear the whole transmission down. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like a low roller clutch problem.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Sounds like a low roller clutch problem.
Doesn't reverse use that clutch as well? Wouldn't it slip in reverse too?

Quick Reply: TH350: 1st gear locked up, now slipping?