Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew my T56 today at the track, what do do next?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Blew my T56 today at the track, what do do next?

Tried to launch on the 2 step, KAPOW!

Time for an auto.

'00 TA, twin turbo, 1000 rwhp…

Th400? 4L80?

cost effective and strong… I'm leaning toward the 4L80 currently for the overdrive. What do you guys run? can you point me in the right direction for what i need for the swap and who to buy from? I will prob do this in a couple months and poke away at it over the winter. I am pretty worn out over cars at the moment. Just put a BRAND NEW clutch in this last week

Thanks for any input!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80E for sure

I would not run a turbo 400 with Perfomance Rearend Gears unless the car is a Track only car.

If your car is driven on the street & on the freeway or to & from the track,
Definetly go with the 4L80E. It will be alot of work & it will cost more money, but it will be worth it once its done. You will need additional parts & a few modifications to complete the conversion. You will also need a new 4L80E Flexplate. I used the B&M SFI Flexplate.

Im running the 4L80E in my 98 Camaro with 411 Gears, Stroker motor & Nitrous & i really like my transmission & the way it shifts gears. . I had to modify the bell housing, purchase a custom transmission conversion harness , also a 4L80E conversion transmission crossover mount , Turbo 400 Transmission Yoke, i purchased a custom lock up converter with a 4000 rpm stall speed from FTI & i am VERY Happy with new new Transmission. When the transmission shifts in 4th gear & the converter locks up in 4th gear, transmission will run much cooler than a turbo 400 will with a high stall converter. Huge Advantage ! 4L80E is a VERY Strong transmisssion.

Last edited by NOS LS1; 08-30-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is the ballpark buy in, converter, trans, electronics etc?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats left of the t56? wanna sell it?
Old 08-30-2014, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

T56 was built not too long ago, i think the tail shaft let go (happened to me once before back in 08) Also have a pro 5.0 shifter with a lou's short stick, Mcleod shatter proof bell housing and block shield, a week old spec 3+ clutch and billet steel flywheel, upgraded slave, mcleod/wilwood adj master cyl and a tick remote bleeder. Was thinking of selling it all as a package with a rebuildable core. I will know more when i pull it out.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jt76
T56 was built not too long ago, i think the tail shaft let go (happened to me once before back in 08) Also have a pro 5.0 shifter with a lou's short stick, Mcleod shatter proof bell housing and block shield, a week old spec 3+ clutch and billet steel flywheel, upgraded slave, mcleod/wilwood adj master cyl and a tick remote bleeder. Was thinking of selling it all as a package with a rebuildable core. I will know more when i pull it out.
Keep me in mind, Im deff interested, Personally i think you should stay with a banger...Im changing my setup from N20 to Turbo over the winter, and keeping the T56 lol
Old 08-30-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is my reason for this thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:45 PM
FormerVendor

I'll build you a 4L80E and converter You'll definitely need a decently built unit with some upgraded hard parts.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

input or output shaft....EXIT STAGE RIGHT!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Default 4L80E install

The 4L80E is a Strong Transmission in Stock form. Its much Stronger than a 4L60E or 4L65E.

Im running the 4L80E with a Trans - Go 2 shift Kit.

We Spray a 100 Shot of Nitrous on ocassion & it shifts great.

You can find a 4L80E transmission on Craigslist or on ebay or at the Junk Yard. These Transmissions were used in Trucks & Vans. My 80E came out of a Van.

I paid 300.00 for mine, You should be able to find one for 500.00 to 600.00 complete in good working condition if you check around. Just throw a shift kit in it. (Trans Go 2 Shift Kit).

The plug & play conversion harness that you will need plugs into your stock harness. It will cost approx. 150.00 & its worth it.

I can send some pictures later if i get some free time. Good luck !

The 4L80E Transmission crossmember is around 130.00, Midwest Chassis makes a good one.

FTI can make you a great Billet Lock up Stall converter with any Stall Speed for around 800.00 shipped to your door. They make awesome converters at a great price.

You will need to trim the sides of the 4L80E Bell housing to clear your headers before it goes in the car.

Madman racing makes a custom Dip stick tube that you will need to install in the transmission BEFORE it goes in the car. 80.00 & it has an NHRA approved Locking Dipstick that you want for Drag Racing so you wont spill trans fluid on the track if you drag race the car.

Make sure you use the ARP Flywheel AND Converter Bolts 50.00 along with the B&M NHRA approved 4L80E Flex plate. 100.00

You will also need to clearance or cut a hole in your transmission tunnel to clear the 4L80E Electrical on the side of the transmission.

All of this should cost you around 1800.00 approx.

The Labor part will be alot of work & the car will be down for a while.

If you have a shop do the labor for you, make sure they have done this same conversion before on a car just like yours.

Its alot of work & it can get expensive.

There are a few threads on this on this forum. Do a search on 4L80E Conversions & upgrades.

I can send some pictures later if i get some free time. Good luck !
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Awesome post, thanks a bunch. I've been researching this topic a bit as of late since I'm more or less in a similar boat as the OP, except I'm pre-kapow. I am having clutch issues and its literally fed me up to the point that I'm just going to sell the T56, with or without the monster triple and sell that too if I part it from the tranny and buy a 4l80e. I'm leaning towards a built one so that it'll handle my future goals without haivng to pull it multiple times unnecessarily. All of the other parts you listed though is a great checklist. Some of the stuff I have marked down like an MWC Tranny X-Member and the wiring harness (do you have the brand of yours by chance?) but others I didnt even think of or havent come across in my searches like the ARP Converter Bolts and the NHRA approved flex plate or the bit about clearancing for the electrical on the transmission tunnel. Do you have any pics of that as well?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

A couple of things to note:

- The MWC crossmember appears to be an excellent piece however it will only work with their torque arm (unless they've altered their product to work with the stocker in the last two months)

- Stock for stock a 4L80E trumps any 4L6XE but there are built 4L6XE units I'd trust more than a stock 4L80E. A TransGo HD-2 kit is a nice budget option however nothing compares to a true well built 4L80E with appropriate hard parts, hydraulic modification and thorough testing. A 100 shot on occasion may be just fine, I've actually seen people do much higher shots for very long periods of time with no issues, however the stock input shaft and forward hub can be very finnicky when spray is involved and I would exercise some degree of caution.

NOS LS1's setup may generally be just fine for a JY 80E with a TransGo HD-2 shift kit. With a 404 ci stroker, and without knowing compression ratio, cam, heads etc I'm estimating RWHP to be around higher 400's low 500s? In that case a setup like this is bound to be more reliable than someone making 1,000 rwhp with a TT setup
Old 09-02-2014, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Here ya go.... Make sure you call them to make sure this will work with your application.

I had to download a truck file in my stock GM Computer to operate my 4l80e transmission. My transmission guy used HP Tuners software to fine tune the shift points & shift firmness.

This is a True Plug & Play harness. No pinning required. no hassel.

Click on the link below....

http://www.pcmofnc.com/index.php/per...ersion-harness
Old 09-02-2014, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Below link is the Midwest Chassis Rear 4l80e Conversion Crossmember rear transmission support... ( Scroll down to bottom of page)

This is what i have in my car.( There are 2 different crossmembers). I also have the Midwest Chassis Double Drop Crossmember with Driveshaft Loop.

Double drop crossmember allows you to run a large single 4" exhaust pipe along with the midwest torque arm. Double drop gives you more ground clearance & it tucks the exhaust pipe up high for more ground clearance.

http://www.midwestchassis.com/crossmembers.html ( Scroll down to bottom of page, This is called the 4l80e conversion crossmember ).

Heres another link....https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...en-camaro.html

Another link... http://www.pcmforless.net/p-120018-4...rsion-harness/

Heres more info.... https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...guys-come.html

B&M SFI Flexplate .... http://www.bmracing.com/products/203...md=450&eng=417

B&M Shifter for 4L80E 4 Speed Automatic... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bm...3Q8RoCtPLw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails Blew my T56 today at the track, what do do next?-camaro_4l80e_install-025.jpg   Blew my T56 today at the track, what do do next?-camaro_4l80e_install-035.jpg  

Last edited by NOS LS1; 09-04-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NOS LS1
Here ya go.... Make sure you call them to make sure this will work with your application.

I had to download a truck file in my stock GM Computer to operate my 4l80e transmission. My transmission guy used HP Tuners software to fine tune the shift points & shift firmness.

This is a True Plug & Play harness. No pinning required. no hassel.

Click on the link below....

http://www.pcmofnc.com/index.php/per...ersion-harness
Is this harness for a lesser stock auto to the 4l80e or does it apply for T56 to 4l80e swaps as well? Wording on the site seems to indicate its for auto to auto(4l80e) swaps.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

dementia... i think it will work with both applications. Call pcmforless & ask them.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

Heres a GREAT 4L80E Article.... http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/tra...-transmission/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blew my T56 today at the track, what do do next?