Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th400 broke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Th400 broke?

I've got a th400 that I purchased from here a couple years back. I had a Hughes rmvb with engine braking installed and everything was solid. Today I was at the strip and something got messed up. I accidentally went from 2nd to 1st I stead of 3rd while letting off in the burnout at about 4-4500 rpm, not 100% use to the reverse pattern and got caught up in the moment I guess.

It still seemed fine so I made the pass and it was a normal pass. When I launched I heard a squeak like a belt slipping but it picked right up and went.

The next run I noticed while backing out of the parking spot it was slipping the converter more. The converter felt looser and it squeaked a couple times when I gave it gas to move. The sound went away tho and I figured it was maybe a belt. So I lined up with it feeling looser than normal and went with it. It went faster than it's went all year with a hair slower mph but equal to the first run.

So I figured yeah the trans is bad but it still downshifts firm and drove ok, just felt like a looser converter was installed. Limped it to storage and left it.

So my question is this. Converter shot or something messed up in the trans? I pulled the dipstick after the last run and it looked fine, and i pulled it after the jaunt to storage and it smelt slightly off. Not exactly burned but different. The fluid looks ok but it hasent had a lot of miles on the truck with it acting this way.

Any help is appreciated, I'm pulling the trans and converter because I know something is wrong but I'm wondering if I should scrap the trans and order new or fiddle around with rebuilding this trans. It's supposedly a slp built trans (to rossler stage 2 specs?) and what looked like a Hughes converter that stalled at 3400 rpm. That's all the information I have.

Quick Reply: Th400 broke?