Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming shortly: A video of the TCI SSF 3500

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming shortly: A video of the TCI SSF 3500

I went out this morning to drive around (1 handed camera so the results might suck). But i spent 22 minutes driving with the TCI SSF 3500 in the city mostly. I wanted to show you guys who are new exactly what to expect from a ssf3500 setup my way (optimized for city driving). I have not had the chance to set lock on shift. Since i have hptuners i can undo this at track. so you might think about that, it may have an impact on mpg and rev's, maybe not.

I'll post a link up when i find my damn firewire wire (sony mini-dv's use a non-standard firewire end).

I think you will like the video if you question what changes a torque converter does to a car. Mind you i do have some mods which affect driveability (112lsa) so there are some things that have not been perfected for my style of driving. I'll try to compress it in WMV format so it can be streamed due to the large size i'm guessing its going to be. Probably 300k/sec since thats what my cable modem can stream at.

Might take a few days since its blistering hot out and i gotta go find a cable and the a/c inside is quite nice and i have to look at a house today. but i'll get it up just nag me. This is intended mostly for newbs without converters who want to see what a midrange converter is.

I do not recommend the tci ssf3500 for my setup, it is too small to effectively drag race FOR MY POWERBAND. But that being said its a great fun converter.

I see 10-12mpg in the city now but i think i can squeeze a little more out with some more tweak time. The lady is house hunting so my spare timing is being cut down a bit at the moment.

hope someone will find it useful. The speed limit is 30-35mph with highly aggressive cops towards fbodies' in atlanta pd limits, so there are reasons why i have tuned the car the way i have.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to see it. post it up!
Old 06-05-2004, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the video up yet?

I am really really itching for my converter to go in next week and a full video might just hold me over
Old 06-05-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, I was thinking about doing the same thing with my SS4000. Lockup programming and part throttle shift point programmind does wonders for around town driving with looser converters.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

samz28
I have always appreciated your "around town" driving perspective when you post. I too am in the same boat witrh almost all of my drive time in the city. I consider 13 mpg good.

This PCM programing to optimize tc lock-up, is it difficult to figure out? I have access to LS1edit, but never bothered tuning yet. This may be the solution that I have been waiting for. I can get a hi stall tc without worry!! woohoo! Please post video & more info on this. THANKS!
Old 06-06-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

im not sure what lockup during shifts would do in the city. In theory the idea may be to lock the verter as soon as 2nd gear and then keep her locked into 3/4 to minimize inefficiency "given" this tune will be for all city/freeway cruising not racing (take it to the track).

You could also lean out the desired a/f ratio till it doesnt run good, since city driving is extremely easy on the motor.

I'm gonna play around and see what i can come up with. A good city/freeway cruise mode (non race) would be great, then a drag/strip race flash would come in handy at the track.