Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck won't shift past 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't shift past 2nd

So this may not even be the right place to post this, but reading through the forums some of you guys seem extremely knowledgeable about these transmissions.

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado Z71 1500 with the 5.3L. 4WD.

Just over 200,000 miles.

The other day I was driving home in 3rd gear and suddenly the rpms shot up to 5k. I'm assuming it dropped into 1st or 2nd. I drove it the rest of the way home going 23 mph at about 3000rpm. Should also mention whenever I come to a stop, when I start accelerating it will go up to 5k (and then I have to let off the gas) before shifting into 2nd, IF, it even shifts up. Also, if I gun it hard from a stop, it will shift smooth into 2nd. But only for a few seconds before shifting back into first.

The transmission fluid was empty when I brought it home. Fluid all over the place underneath.

I could take it to a shop to have it looked at, but I would much rather do it myself so I could learn the process and how everything works together. Plus I really enjoy working on my own vehicles. I have another vehicle that gets a lot better mileage and right now I have a few hours every day to work on this project.

What do you guys thing happened and what do you recommend? What would be your first plan of action?

Last edited by kalvinc; 09-09-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Here are some similar threads in which I give an overview of the tools and parts required for a rebuild and the issues a first-timer might encounter:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html (See my links in #2)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-rite-kit.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ild-4l60e.html (See #5)

If you want to learn to rebuild the trans for your education and personal satisfaction, go for it. We are glad to help here.
If you are only trying to save money, stop! You will spend as much money on tools and parts (including ones your ruin the first time) as a local shop would charge you for a rebuild. A bunch of members here have rebuilt their first transmission and a very proud of it.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Mrvedit,

Thank you for the quick response and helpful links. I have read each of those threads and the links you posted within them aswell. Very useful information. I'll definitely be referring back to those posts whenever I start this project.

What does it sound like happened with my transmission from your perspective? And will rebuilding the tranmission likely fix the problem?
Old 09-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Consider yourself lucky that the 3/4 clutch lasted for 200,000 miles.
The frictions wear out and you lose 3rd and 4th gears.

I would suggest a 4L65E rebuild kit as it has a better 7 friction 3/4 clutch and fits all 4L60E (at least '96 and later). A comp
Add a Sonnax 4l60E-LB1 boost valve for firmer shifts and longer life.
Add a Transgo Universal separator plate as the old one will be too worn.
Likely need a new reverse drum too.
Many rebuild kits do not include a band, so add that too.
Finally get a new 3rd accumulator check ball - GM #8634400 as this is a common source of leaks in the 3/4 clutch circuit.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything significant, but that should cover a slightly-better than stock rebuild. About $400 for all those parts including $100 for an AcDelco reverse drum.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 PM

Where do I start first? What all do I need to remove in order to get the transmission out? Can you recommend a manual for removing/replacing the transmission and any publications on the rebuild portion?

Quick Reply: Truck won't shift past 2nd