Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting Issue 99 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Issue 99 Z28

So quick question for everyone, I have a 99 Z28 has the 4L60E. On occasion it shifts hard normally but when it rains its even worse sometimes it will make the whole car jerk rain or no rain. Anyone ever heard of this? I'm not getting any trans codes or anything on testers. Could this actually be an axle or gear issue?
Old 09-09-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If it really is related to rain, I would suspect a bad connection, perhaps to the VSS.
If the VSS (and speedometer) briefly read a low value, the PCM may detect that as slippage and set max line pressure in an attempt to reduce slippage. The max line pressure will give you hard shifts.

If it is only the 1-2 shift and not related to rain, and no codes, I would suspect a cracked piston in the 1-2 accumulator.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:36 PM

Hmm I might have to look into that. I know when I manually shift it and i get up in higher rpms and shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd it makes a slight almost like blow off valve wease. Its just a real quick sound. My traction control does click on when it shifts hard in the rain though. I thought it could have been a tire issue and no traction cause my tires were wore down but i got new tires and it was still doing the same. Thanks for the response I'll look into what you mentioned.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

As odd as it sounds, I had a pcm that wasn't sealed properly and would leak water into the case... it would cause all kinds of shifting issues in the rain, and only in the rain... The way I found it, I was on a trip to Orlando, it rained hard over night... we got up to head to Disney the next day and halfway there, the car went nuts... 2nd gear only, misfiring, dash lit up like a christmas tree... during troubleshooting, we pulled the pcm to swap into my buddies car which was also a Trans Am, when we pulled it out of the holder, water started running out of the pcm... I will say that after we dried it out with a hair dryer from the condo, it worked perfectly and lived in a walmart bag for the duration of the trip... after being sealed up properly, it's still in the car to this day...
Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I think we should all drain the water out of our PCM.
b1er's post sounds like a good possibility. We've also had some OPs find that their VSS connections were badly corroded.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Nice I'll look into that to. At this point in time I'm accepting all ideas. I just want to get the issue fixed. Thanks for the help so far. I'll look into these things within the next few days and let you all know what I find.

Quick Reply: Shifting Issue 99 Z28