Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e won't shift into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e won't shift into 2nd

Good morning guys. I have a transplanted 2001 5.3 and 4L60e in a 70 Impala. The trans will not shift into 2nd but if I dirve it and get the revs up (because it won't shift into 2nd) and then let off the throttle it will shift into 3rd, and then 4th. I bought the car with the engine and trans already in so i don't know much about it - something could be not hooked up correctly. I just read 'THE1320's thread about his problem and taking it to the tranny shop and not being comfortable with their answers. I'm worried about the same scenario so i figured i'd just buy a scanner to check it out myself. what i'm hoping for is that someone here can tell me what kind of scanner i need to look at shift signals and such. i'm very new to these computer controlled engines so i just don't know. i would think that as i get more acquainted with them i will want to do more tuning or whatever so i guess the most basic tuner/scanner to get me by ??

thanks for reading this long winded question.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I use an old Snap On scanner, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It just doesn’t work very well and is outdated. From what I have read HP Tuners has very good scanning capabilities and you can also tune with it. I think you can only use it on one vehicle that to me would be a drawback. You HP Tuners guys can chime in.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Another possibility is that the band is very worn. While the band is used for both 2nd and 4th gear, usually (not always) you lose 2nd gear before you lose both.

It is useful to know the endplay of the servo; and relatively easy to check.
With a crowbar, press on the trans servo cover and estimate how far it moves.
Ideally it is only between 1/16 and 1/8". Around 3/16" is too much and around 1/4" the band will begin slipping.

Quick Reply: 4l60e won't shift into 2nd